My dog got a hold of one of my chickens last night. (It was all my fault, too...I let the dogs out without checking to see if my husband had let the chickens out first...) He ripped out most of the feathers on her back and bit her back, resulting in about a 4 inch tear and a single puncture wound. The tear went through the skin and fat layers, but seems to have left the muscle intact. I cleaned the wounds with boiled water and rinsed with them hydrogen peroxide. However, I didn't have any syringe or such on hand, so I was unable to flush the puncture thoroughly, and in retrospect (after reading some of the first aid posts on this forum) I worry that I did not flush the tear with enough H2O2 either. I then packed the tear and the puncture with Neosporin (pain reliever-free), and sewed the tear mostly shut with a boiled needle and regular sewing thread (3 sutures total). My suturing technique wasn't great, so the edges of the wound are not quite touching (about 1/8 " gap). Since reading a bit more first aid advice on this forum, I am tempted to clip the sutures and allow the wound to heal spread open as seems to be more typically recommended, such that the wound airs without anaerobic infection. But without the sutures, the tear spreads to about 1 inch wide (so about 4" x 1"), exposing fat and muscle... General info: She is a 5 month old Speckled Sussex hen, who just started laying a couple of weeks ago. She is currently inside in a small pen with pine shavings over cardboard. I fed her a scrambled egg this morning, which she readily consumed, though I haven't seen her eat pellets or drink yet (though I am not watching her constantly, so perhaps she is eating pellets and drinking). She seems fairly alert this morning, and is standing. She is holding her tail low, though. So, my questions are: 1) Should I remove the sutures to allow the wounds to heal open? (And also to re-flush the wounds with saline or hydrogen peroxide, to ensure that they are well rinsed of debris?) 2) Should I get oral or injectable antibiotics for the bird, or wait until I see signs of infection to do so? 2a) What antibiotic is recommended? Injectable penicillin seems to be a popular choice ...? 3) I am also concerned that I put too much Neosporin inside the wound prior to stitching...it was quite a lot. Is this excess concerning enough to warrant removal of the stitches? I would really appreciate any help you could provide. Thank you, and pictures will follow..