dog attack -- advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kgdubois, Aug 19, 2011.

1. kgdubois

kgdubois Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    West Texas
    my favorite girl got attacked by the neighbor dog -- she is not putting weight on one leg & is holding one wing down...is there any chance she'll make it, y'all? she is drinking & i've gotten some chick feed into her, but i just don't know that much about injured chickens yet. if she's hurting, i'll put her down, but i wanted to know if it sounds like she's got a chance. it's been at least 4 hours since she was attacked. thank you so much.

she is my most favorite girl, and even lets my 18 month old son pet & hold her. i am willing to put in the time to save her, but i don't want to draw things out, because this is really hard for me.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I think if she's eating & drinking, give her a few days & see if she improves. Maybe add some antibiotics to the water if you see wounds. Some vitamins in the water wouldn't hurt either. I hope she has a full recovery! [​IMG]

3. kgdubois

kgdubois Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    West Texas
    Thank you! i've given her some "Quick Chick" in her water & added some of the "Grow Gel" to the chick feed (these both came from Murray McMurray & are in my chicken first aid kit). i'm hoping this will help her along [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:have you looked her over real good to see if there are any punture wounds? if there are you need to wash them real good and put some kind of meds on her like neosporin w/o pain relief. keep her in a quiet place for a couple of days, till she gets over the shock. Sounds like your doing a good job.

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    [​IMG] Way to go, good chick care. sorry about your chick. Better take steps, that dog will be back. Boiled or scrambled egg for protein to heal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by