Dog attack advice please.

Tony812430

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Negley ohio
My neighbors dog attacked ad killed 26 black copper marans, rumpless aracaunas and dark Cornish. They were about 8 months old. Also on that list was 3 turkeys(2bourbon red toms and a hen) and 6 ducks. One Peking and the rest Muscovy. My problem is she admitted guilt but said there was no way to prove that they were her dogs and she wouldn't pay me. I have evidence that they were her dogs. I don't think I will have a problem with that. What should I ask per chicken? Turkey? Duck? And how do I go about perusing this. The dog warden came an got her dogs and both have been adopted out. Her thing is she has no dogs anymore so she thinks she shouldn't pay.

If this happened to my flock and I had hard proof, I would pursue litigation if the respose from the dog owner was negative. It is certain that there are damages, monetary and emotional...unfortunately you may need to aquire legal assistance which will cost front money on your part.

Also, even if the people who own the dog in question may not have a leg to stand on, they may also be without money to reimberse you for your loss...you may have to weigh the circumstances and figure out if pursuing it is even worth the cost involved.

I would think that a dog must be controlled by its owner and that is really the basis of the lawsuit....lucky it wasn't a child.

I would say about $10-$20 or £9-£18 for the chickens. For the turkey's probably about $10 for chicks and 50 for older birds. For the ducks probably about $15 each for smaller and $30 for bigger ones. Maybe also have a look at how much local breeders sell them for and maybe what you think they were worth to you. Dogs can be a bad issue so try to be firm but nice.

Good luck;)

Look on Craigslist and other sites to find what point of lay hens of your breeds run in your area. Your BCM for instance would be worth more than the average everyday run in the mill chickens. Just as your rumpless chickens. If nothing else, you could determine your loss monetary wise by going to a hatchery site that sells them as POL hens and see what THEY charge. That should give you a good idea at just how much they were worth.

But as it has been said, they may not be able to pay but you can cross that bridge later on.

Your.animal control officer should be able to give you advice on legal action. In SC animal control presses all charges and presents the case. You are responsible for proving to the judge the amount of monetary damages.

When I was a young man in the 1960 a sheep herder down the road use to put down all loose dogs and when I asked him why He said the loss of a lam was like $ 1000.00 as the lamb could grow up and have wool so he lost that plus if it was a female it could have a lamb so when he took dog owners to court and win and he always did that I know of the court would award him 5 years worth of what the lamb could produce in wool and little ones so the set figure was $ 1000. dollars average and this was for lost income and that was small claims court .......
D.gif

You had your poultry on your property right then you should win on that alone
hit.gif

The area where I live allows me to shoot wild and domestic animals on my property and the city limits only start 300 yards down the street and yes if I have the dog in a bag and the owner can be identified I get only $ 20 dollars per chicken and I also do not have to return the dog but the SPCA will come out and collect the trash as I am not allowed to put it in the land fill .......
cool.png

But also remember there is SSS
hu.gif

gander007
old.gif

We used to have the problem of neighbor dogs in the yard attacking our free range chickens. Two strands of low electric fence around property has solved that problem. Some neighbors are good about their dogs and others aren't. Any dogs make it past the fence will be shot now. Don't have problems with coons or possums anymore either. They must be getting zapped by the fence.

How much did you pay for the birds and where did you get them?
Ask the person you bought them from what it would costs to replace them with birds that are the same age.

Back
Top Bottom