1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog attack...Big bad roo earns his keep!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rooster-red, Jul 11, 2007.

1. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    My Sister-in-law has a black lab that has killed chickens before and she still lets it run loose.

I've warned her that if I catch that dog even trying to get to my flock that I will drop it where it stands and bring her the lifeless body... and still she lets it loose.

Yesterday evening about 6 pm I heard the dog bark out in my back yard.

I grabbed my .45 and headed out the back door to check out the situation.
    Just as I'm coming through the doorway I see the dogs hind legs squeeze under the gate.

I run to the pen with the intent of taking care of this dog once and for all, swing the gate open just in time to see my big barred rock roo heading for the dog.

When they met my roo was already in the air with his legs out in front of him. lots of noise from the hens and growling from the dog, feathers flying, dog yelping and blood...

I was going to shoot but was afraid I'd hit one of the chickens, the dog ran screaming past me and out the gate.

My roo was standing there with alot of blood all over him, I just knew he was a goner.
    I went to see just how bad his injuries were.
    He had some minor scratches, but no major injuries at all, so where did all that blood come from?

I called my Sister-in law to raise cane about her dog getting in the pen and she said she would call me back because they were taking the dog to the vet because it was loosing alot of blood.

Today she called me back to tell me she would be keeping the dog penned up from now on because of the wounds it had suffered.

17 puncture wounds on the head and neck, 1 took 5 stitches to close![​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, have a full grown malamute that lives in the house with us.
    I don't like that the dog is suffering, but I bet it doesn't try to eat chicken anymore!

My rooster had marshmellows and grapes for a snack today.
    I'm glad I let him keep those 3" spurs.

2. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    I love dogs, too...

but ... YOU GO ROOSTER!!!! Yay!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

At least now you know he won't be out after your chickens again.

Jess

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG] Finally, a dog vs chicken story where the chicken wins! I also have no doubt that my big Barred Rock roo would take on anything to protect his girls. A very satisfying story, I must say. The dog will live and maybe your sister will be a little more responsible about him now.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    My Roo is petrified of my SLW hen......so i dont know what would happen if danger was near. I suppose if my roo is smart he will hide behind her [​IMG]

well, the dog learned a hard lesson, and so did sis. I like it!

5. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I certainly hope so.

My roo is so gentle with my kids, hard to beleive it was the same rooster.
    And less than 30 minutes later he's snuggled up in my DD's arms letting us clean the blood of him!

As a side note its hard to get blood stains out of black and white feathers.

OH!, and my avitar is a picture of him that I photo shopped.

6. speckledhen

I did notice your avatar. Looks like a handsome fella. My rooster, Hawkeye, is also a very gentle guy, but does what he needs to do when he needs to do it. I'm completely sold on that breed and have been for years.
    Where in W. Ga are you? I went to W. Ga. College and my grandfather owned a farm in Carrollton till he was almost 100 years old.

7. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I'm not real far from Carrollton, I'm in Douglasville.[​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Your rooster inspired me to replace my own ugly mug on my avatar with my own Hawkeye. I'm glad your boy is none the worse for wear!

9. Citychick

Citychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    Go Roo! [​IMG] We have a lab next door that I have to watch. But if he jumps the six foot fence between our houses. He is going home in pieces!

10. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Nice pic on the avitar, I liked the other one too.[​IMG]

My white leghorn roo was in the pen at the time this happened but he tends to be panicky, would probably have given himself a heart attack trying to defend the girls.

We kind of went about this whole backyard flock thing backwards.
    My kid's church bus driver decieded to give all his bus riders a present on Easter Sunday last year... Baby chicks. He was assured that the group he bought had been sexed and were all females.

My kids got the only 2 roosters out of the whole bunch. Go figure.[​IMG]

We started adding hens 2 months ago.
    We recently got 6 from Blondie, so now we have a small but managable backyard flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by