1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Dog Attack, Broken Back or Wings?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by billygoat162, May 18, 2018.

1. billygoat162

billygoat162 Chirping

Apr 19, 2016
    American Southwest
    One of my very tame chickens did the egg squat when a dog came after her and the dog did a number on her, but didn't try to eat her--just played with her and nipped her. The chicken finally realized what was happening and got away under a fence, and now it's 24 hours later and she is still either laying down or standing hunched over with her wings out and her head down. I gave her half a children's aspirin which didn't seem to help much, which is why I'm wondering if she might have some broken bones. I didn't see any blood anywhere, but it's hard to tell with how poofy she is.

I have the chicken in a crate in my basement to keep her separated, and am wondering if there is anything else I should do. The poor hen is clearly in a lot of pain...I've had injured chickens before, but none this bad. Is it inhumane to keep her alive? Should I just keep up with the aspirin and hope she gets better? She's not eating or drinking as far as I can tell, but does let out an occasional very quiet, single cluck when I check on her.

IMG_7856.JPG
    IMG_7845.JPG
    IMG_7855.JPG

penny1960 likes this.
  2. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager 7 Years

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    That does not look good!

Dog likely broke something.

Ducksandchickens and penny1960 like this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, I would agree that she looks severely injured. I would recommend putting the poor thing down so that she doesn’t suffer.

4. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager 7 Years

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    :hugsI agree

penny1960 likes this.
  5. micstrachan

micstrachan Crowing Premium Member

I’m so very sorry. We did have a young girl on these forums nurse a rooster with an injured neck back to health. However, I do think your poor girl looks badly injured, possibly with a broken back? Is she able to swallow if you dip her back in water? I would guess not if she can’t tilt her head back? Can you take her to an avian vet to find out if she has a chance at recovery? If she can’t heal and recover, I would kindly end her suffering (or have the vet do it.) I’m so sorry.

penny1960 likes this.
  6. Quackers3211

Quackers3211 Songster

May 18, 2018
    I’m terribly sorry to hear that. I used to foster dogs for a rescue and occasionally one would jump the fence or escape and go after our chickens. All the attacks but one needed up being fatal. I would recommend putting this poor bird down, keeping her alive at this point would only be for you. I’m not meaning anything rude by this but from what I’ve seen and the info you have given me I recommend it strongly. I don’t put any animals to rest unless there is no other option or it’s causing them pain. Once again sorry.

penny1960 likes this.
  7. micstrachan

How did she get away and under the fence?

penny1960 likes this.
  8. micstrachan

9. Quackers3211

Quackers3211 Songster

May 18, 2018
    Can you post an update?

penny1960 likes this.
  10. billygoat162

billygoat162 Chirping

Apr 19, 2016
    American Southwest
    There was a fenced off portion of my yard to keep the chickens from eating the plants, and the hen managed to get under it where water was flowing under the fence but the dog couldn't fit

penny1960 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: