Dog Attack, Chicken skinned

WildflowerJLH

Songster
9 Years
Mar 28, 2010
The Mythical State of Jefferson
I was awakened by the sound of my chicken being attacked by 2 neighborhood dogs. She has a large section that was skinned, but the skin is still attached. It is like a big flap. I am trying to rinse it clean and bandage with the flap in place, so that it might re-adhere.

She is a 1 year old GLW. The skinned area in under her left wing to tail, over her entire "hip." It probably measures 6" x 8"

Any suggestions to prevent infection or encourage healing are appreciated.

Get her straight on to anti-biotics if you can as she is quite likely to get an infection. Keep her indoors and away from the other chickens. Make sure she is still eating an drinking.
Hope someone who knows more about this sort of stuff chimes in!
Sorry to hear about your chicken, hope shes recovers..
Daisy. xx

Sorry to hear there are no vets near u. I would just provide wound care as you would to a person. Keep the wound clean and smell it to sense first signs of infection. Get antibiotics (this is a must) and if u see a white/yellow sticky substance on the wound do NOT wipe off (unless it smells of infection) because this is a type of mesh produced for the skin to develop on to. Every time this is wiped off the body has to produce more and it sets back healing. Feed extra protein as this is what the mesh is made from. Please keep updating and good luck xx

flush 2-3 times daily with a diluted iodine solution and get a good vitamin powder for her water, keep her on them tell healed, if it starts to smell bad at all get anti-biotics, i've had deeper wounds cuased by spurs where a hens whole side was open, and i just flushed 2x's a day with iodine and she was fine with no anti-biotics

just watch and give her TLC

Thank you for all the helpful ideas. I have been flushing with a saline solution twice a day. I have been coating it with a prescription antibiotic cream anc dressing the wound. I have her in isolation with no sticky bedding like straw or pine shavings. She is on recycled cotton diapers. She seems OK, but it does not look like she ate today. She did poop, though. She gets up and moves around a little.

Hbh, thanks for the info about the healing process. I used to work in burn treatment, so I am pretty familiar with wound care. None of you would know that, so I do appreciate the sharing of info!

Off to perform PM wound care. We just got home from "dispatching and processing" 35 meat birds. We have another 25 to do tomorrow. Sometimes, these chickens seem to run my life!

Back
Top Bottom