dog attack (graphic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ck18, Feb 21, 2012.

1. ck18

ck18 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    [​IMG]
    A strange dog wandered into our yard one night we took it to the vet and kept it for a day it got out and i chased it for a good 20 minutes throwing chickens in the coop before he could get them one unlucky hen flew into the pond. i had to jump in the pond to get the chicken out of the dogs mouth but by then there was already a whole patch of skin torn from the chicken it was pretty bad we almost had to put it out of its misery but decided to clean it up and give it a night hope for a miracle.. now its been about two weeks and looks alot better but when can i move her safely back outside with out fear or infection or cannibalism?

2. ck18

ck18 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    i have lots of views on my post but no one has any advice???[​IMG] come on people someone has to know something!! cause i cant find any info on the internet

3. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    What does that injury look like now? Is it healed over?

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    So sorry about your bird You may want to try putting some Blu-Cote on it or Red-Cote

BluKote Ointment and Spray - Effective treatment of surface wounds, abrasions, and Antiseptic, fast-drying Blu-Kote is highly effective against pus-producing bacteria and common fungus infections. Penetrates to reduce pus formation and dry up secretions of pox-like lesions. RedKote Spray - For fast, safe healing of lacerations, wire cuts, scratches, burns, chafes and other superficial wounds. Non-drying, soothing, softening. Stimulates new, healthy skin growth and discourages scar tissue formation. Red – Kote is good to help the dry scales loosen up and fall off. There is a condition called scaly leg which we recommend using this product for. It happens when the scales do not come off when they should and leg mites begin to gather under the scales. Regular use of Red – Kote can help prevent scaly leg. When a chicken’s foot is bruised, the bruise can become infected and swell. This is called bumble-foot. The Red – Kote can help heal this condition, as well as the breast sores that sometimes form due to rubbing against the roost pole. Bottled water (2) and a Spray applicator

At the least put neosporin on the cut and isolate her in a cat carry or small dog carry box.

I also for shock would say to put sugar in the water and Vita-Sol a liquid vitamin in the water

5. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I wouldn't put her back out with the others until it's completely healed, feathers and all. Then I'd introduce her slowly. I know it's a pain, but you'll kick yourself if you rush it and she is re injured.

6. ck18

ck18 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    thank you for your comments ill post a picture of it now when i can and thats very helpful steve do you think i could find that spray at the farm store or do i have to special order it ?

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Blu-Cote is all over the place. I had to order Red-Cote

Red-Cote http://www.drnaylor.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=24&Itemid=51

Blu-Cote http://www.drnaylor.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=20&Itemid=47

They will do special delivery or expedited delivery for a faster service for you. I think its to late to glue or stitch so if you cover it with these ointments and keep her very sedate for a while and let her heal and then also allow the feathers to return you will have her back. Then introduce her to the flock a day at a time and at night bring her back in and and during the day let her out and be a referee just in case she is attacked by the flock bc they will not remember her as a part of it and have to gain respect and gain a new position in the pecking order through earned only

Best of luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by