1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog attack! HELP!!! Chicken not well!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whoacowboy, Sep 29, 2011.

1. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    I went outside just now and a small yorkie had my hen pinned. i put this stray in a kennel and got my hen inside. she is limping and there is blood on her leg. Given the size of the dog I don't think he got any vitals but she is very very still and is closing her eyes. She won't eat or drink. I don't know what to do!

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Ssssorry this happened to you and your chicken. Yorkies are in the terrier family and are good vermin hunters. Your bird may have many punctures and you may not be able to find all of them; you will want an antibiotic oral or IM as you may not be able to find all to cover topically.

My hen had a similar incident yesterday and she acted like she was dead; not moving. While scolding the dog, I noticed her move and carefully picked her up. SHe acted like she was stunned and slowly became active again.

There are many old threads with info. I will try to post some helpful pages here . I will look up a few and add them.

How to give a shot--great details.

3. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    Thank you. Is Tylan an anti-biotic? What about Duramycin? We have some here and geez, i can't tell you what it is, only what we've used it for. When I check on her it seems to be fairly superficial leg wounds. But what looks superficial...well...what does that mean for a chicken? she will stand but tucks her worse leg in. She seems to over-react in general. During a bad storm she acted very very strange for hours. I just don't want to underestimate the blood. She was hurt and I want to do all I can for her. She is staying tucked down for the most part but is staying alert. Her eyes closing seems over, for now. Sorry for you little chicken, too.

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Our dog had ripped many feathers out of our sultan roo. He was in a little bit of shock afterwards and was bleeding. As soon as we found him we gave him a bath and rinsed his back with an iodine spray and hydrogen peroxide. We put some antibiotics in his water to help but wouldn't eat or drink for about a day. Then, he started to drink and eat, and he started standing. after that he has been doing great, we are keeping him in a dog crate in our garage. It has been about a month since it happened and he has made a huge recovery!!! His back is no longer bare and he is beginning to grow feathers!!! Here is a pic of what he looked like after we sprayed him with iodine the night of the attack. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Here is an extensive emergency care site.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6580204

Read the label of the antibiotic for the specific name of the antibiotic. You want a broad spectrum type. I have not used the 2 you mentioned, so I'm sorry, I can't help you much there. I will search old threads for info.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Tylan 50 1/2 cc left breast IM 3 days. 1 month withdrawl.

Speckeled hen suggested subQ as the injection. Everything else the same.

THe bottle should say IM or subQ and follow that.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    duramycin- google duramycin--another antibiotic. Looks like it goes in the water. If you bird is not drinking, then it's difficult to get antibiotics into the bird. You would need to force feed water/gatorade anyway if not drinking , so you choice. Follow directions on package, or google duramycin for tons of info: need to sort thru for dosing info.

Good luck. Hope your bird heals well.

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    How is your hen today?

9. dizzyg

dizzyg New Egg

Sep 29, 2011
    I know this is an older post - but it's so wonderful to see that some birds do make it through such trauma - and the links provided in the messages above mine will be very helpful in the future. I lost my turkey last night - but perhaps if something happens again, I'll be able to take better care and maybe not loose my patient next time. Thanks to everyone who posts - and it's wonderful to be able to browse back through older posts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by