DOG ATTACK!! Help Please - pictures

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katiek, Dec 6, 2008.

1. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    Any advice on what to do?

We just found my $*&@ dog with my favorite hen in his mouth (Daphne). [​IMG]

She isn't bleeding, but is missing a lot of feathers. There is some raw skin on her back, and a lot of feathers are missing from her left wing.

How do I know if it's broken? If it's broken is there anything I can do about it? It's not visibly broken, but she seems in pain. She's panting a lot too. Is there anything I can do to help her not be in pain?

There is one puncture wound on her right shoulder. Right now we put her in the coop to calm down. What should we do? Once she gets out of shock we are going to clean her wounds. I looked online and saw some recommendations of stuff to clean her with. Any suggestions?

[​IMG] I want my poor Daphne to make it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  2. You need to seperate her from everyone else and put her in a nice warm and dark place.. She sounds shocky.
    Pics would help immensely. Offer a bowl of water, perhaps with some electrolights in it if you have them.
    Hang tight, someone with more advice will be along soon I'm sure.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    You need to get the wound cleaned up with a sterile saline solution or betadine. You can make your own sterile saline solution by boiling a teaspon of salt in a quart of water for 7 minutes, let it cool to room temperature and then rinse the wound really well.

Next get some good antibiotic ointment like neosporin or thriple anitibotic ointment and apply. Make sure it does not have a pain reliver in it (or anything with 'caine' in the name) that is fatal to them.

Keep her isolated with food and water available. You can give her scrambled egg and such too. Electrolyes in her water are a great idea and if you do not have any, give her some pedilyte.

As soon as you can get her on a good antibiotic to ward off any infection...dog bites carry alot of micro stuff and infection is easy to get and could really take her out quickly.

Post pics of the wounds as soon as you can but get her cleaned up soon.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Sorry for cutting in again but do not use peroxide on a puncture wound...it is not good on healthy tissue deep down. Do not give aspirin if she is still bleeding because aspirin will make bleeding worse. [​IMG]

5. katiek

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    Okay,

It's a lot worse than we thought.

I was cleaning her with the solution, and I found a place where the skin is ripped. You can see some sort of organ and muscles. This is under her left wing in her back.

What do I do? Stitches? Pour the solution in there? Put her down? Take her to the vet and see if he'll look at it?

She seems very calm and is letting me hold her and work on her just fine. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated. She is my baby!

Here are pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    You could try butterfly bandage or steri strips, it can drain as it heals that way . If you can go ahead and clean it up and can do stitches go for it...it not, and you can afford a vet to do the stitches, it would be worth the vet visit to get it done properly. That looks like muscle from the picture...go ahead and clean it with the saline solution and a clean cloth or gauze pack.

In the hole, how deep approximately does the puncture go?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  7. katiek

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    Thanks for all your help everyone. Daphne is staying calm and alert.

It seems to me like the skin could be stitched back together. The hole is about the size of a nickle, the puncture lays right along that muscle and bone. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the muscles, just torn skin. While is isn't deep, the skin is loose around the muscle, so I feel like it could easily get dirty. This sounds weird, but I could fit my finger in the hole if I wanted too (which I don't).

I just called my vet, he is closed for the weekend, and the emergency clinic is too expensive for me. $130 just to get seen and then additional costs for sedation and surgery.

I will try a butterfly bandage to get her through the weekend.

The wound is not bleeding, do you think i should wait on the aspirin? I definitely don't want her to be in pain.

My main concern is keeping that wound clean. Do I pour the solution in it? or flush it out with a syringe? Or just dab it?

I used to be a first responder, so I have all my old first aid stuff, but it's been a while! I might be able to do stitches myself, but I'm concerned about cleaning the wound out first.

Again, thanks everyone for your help!

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Just rinse thoroughly with saline and then with betadine if you have any, then apply antibiotic ointment and then let it dry up.

9. mksenoj

mksenoj Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    UpState, New York
    I agree with the above post. Same advise from here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by