Dog attack!! Help please!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rabbott, Jan 21, 2017.

1. rabbott

rabbott Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    2 big dogs attacked my flock this morning... one roo is gone :( the other is hanging on.
    I'm just not sure what else to do. I gave him a warm bath (and blow dry) to asses any punctures /bleeding. I do not see any other than his left eye was bloody and he's keeping it shut. He's wheezing and gurgling a bit.... have him wrapped in a towel & in a box. heat lamp off set to keep warm and in our garage.... should I give him some tetracycline water? And, how often should I try to get food (what kind of food) & water down him??
    Any advice much appreciated!

2. cmohlin89

cmohlin89 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2017
    It sounds like he has some internal damage. It's hard to say what the best course of action is without really knowing the extent of his injuries. Are his comb and wattles a normal color? Does he have equal strength and coordination on both sides of his body?

As for the dogs.... Check out what your zoning laws are. In my area if a dog is on your property killing your livestock you may kill it. That may ruffle some feathers but if you live in an area with a lot of strays it is an issue that will keep happening if not kept in check.

1 person likes this.
  3. rabbott

May 13, 2011
    thanks for responding... i can assure you we did try to shoot them. think thats why it drop my guy and i could rescue him. the other one is just gone...

he can stand but pretty weak. other than the eye bleed no obvious signs of injury.... lots of missing feathers... normal coloring. im just not sure if i should be forcing food & water or let eat on ow?

4. cmohlin89

cmohlin89 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2017
    I would just let him be for now, he is likely in shock and will be most content somewhere warm, quiet and dimly lit. Put some electrolytes in his water. In the morning check to see if he has pooped normally. If it looks watery you'll know he hasn't eaten. To sweeten the deal you might get him eating with some cooked egg yoke or another treat he enjoys. If it seems he hasn't pooped at all dip his beak in the water, sometimes that's all it takes and they'll start drinking on their own and then start eating. Good luck!

5. rabbott

May 13, 2011
    thank you! i gave him some tetracycline water & raw egg... he has pooped twice now but pretty runny
    just going to keep him cozy and offer food/water every hour or so... wait it out
    fingers crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by