1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog attack - Help, Please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by earthfaerie, Jan 23, 2013.

1. earthfaerie

earthfaerie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    One of my girls was just attacked by a dog. We managed to stop the attack before she was killed but she is injured. What I would like to know is how to treat her injuries: she is missing quite a lot of feathers on her back and breast, she also has a couple of puncture wounds on her back between her wings. I've got her isolated in a carrier inside with some scratch and water but what else should I do, what can I do to help the wounds heal etc..

Thanks in advance,
    EF

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Topic needs to be in emergencies section.

Get in something like a cat carrier with a little straw. This calms her more than anything but helps deal with hypothermia associated shock.

Feather damage not short-term concern.

Punctures can sites for infection. Be ready to use antibiotics. How is she breathing? Respiratory system different from ours and in some ways more vulnerable to such attacks.

Crushing wounds my biggest concern. Damage can occur well away from punctures and most likely cause for shock and mortality.

Watch her a couple hours. If she wants water, then ket her have it. Do not use electrolytes unless feces becomes watery.

Feed her normal ration. Do not change diet just be nice, that can be a stressor in its own right. Not eating for a day or so does not mean end of world.

She will be sore.

3. earthfaerie

Sep 30, 2012
    Thanks Centrarchid,

Is there a way to move this post to emergency forum?

She is doing better, ate and drank a little bit, and is trying to stand. I hope she continues to recover. How long should I keep her in the cat carrier?

Thanks Again,
    EF

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You can cut and paste your text above to a new thread in emergency forum. Good Luck.

ETA: OK, I see this did get moved. Hope the OP can find it again.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Once female is moving around, allow her to come out of carrier. I would have her sleep in carrier for a couple of days.

Since she has punctures and she is on feed, I suggest you now effort to get her on an antibiotic suitable for poultry. I am not an expert on what to use so best to consult others that use antibiotics such as a vet. Animal bites coupled with stress prone to infection.

Description of featherloss lacks detail needed to access whether she will have difficulties thermoregulating. Picture would help with that.

Keep her away from balance of flock for a few days. Sometimes other flock members not always the most considerate of injured comrads.

6. Marissa

Marissa New Egg

Jun 20, 2010
    I had a similar situation. I applied neosporin (the spray kind) to the puncture wounds 2x a day. The important thing is to ensure that she is eating and drinking. Also, that none of the others are able to pick on her. Chickens are typically tough, but initially she will be sore and may act a little dazed/weak. My girl took a few days to snap out of her funk and a few weeks to fully recover. Good luck! I hope you have a good outcome.

7. Deb B

Deb B Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    My Easter Egger Rooster was "retreived" by the dog next door about 2 months ago. The roo ended up with a gash on his chest that was about 3 inches long. I confined him in my basement, gave him food and water, and neosporin on the wound two to three times a day for about a week. He didn't eat for the first day, but he recovered. Nothing like a roo crowing INSIDE the house to get you going in the morning!

8. earthfaerie

Sep 30, 2012
    Update: she seems to be doing better today. I've moved her into a larger pen inside by herself. She is moving around a bit but not much. She won't eat or drink on her own, I have to spoon feed her. I've been giving her room temperature oatmeal with a little yogurt mixed in and she has access to pellets, scratch and water. Her puncture wounds look good but where her feathers are missing looks bruised. How often should I spoon feed/water her if she is not eating/drinking on her own?

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Ideally she will eat on her own. I assume by spoon you mean force feed.

Try giving giving her live mealworms. They are much more appealing than even treats you have been using.

It appears bruising is extensive so a couple more days required for her to loosen up.

Frequency = twice each day should suffice, Keeping her hydrated most important. She is going to loose lots of weight and that will fuel energy needs in part. Damaged tissue will be yorn down before repaired. During tear down more white will be evident in feces.

Once appetite picks up more protein will be needed. Oatmeal and yogurt may prove counter productive during that time. A chick starter is high in protein.

Are you using antibiotics?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  10. earthfaerie

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm not forcing feeding her but simply offering her food and water from a tablespoon, she won't eat or drink from the bowls provided. she wouldnt eat this morning but she did drink a fair amount. I will pick some meal worms and chick starter today. I haven't got her on antibiotics other than antibiotic ointment (polysporin). Thanks for all the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by