Dog attack....help!

ilovechickensandfrogs

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2017
We have a chciken that has been attacked by a dog and her neck has been torn open. How can I fix her crop? She is alert. Is there anyway to save her?

I would take her to an emergency vet right away, or a regular one in the AM. That is an injury that might require putting her down. People do crop surguries at home, even though a vet would be preferred. But if there are good margins on the crop, you might be able to repair it with sutures or superglue gel. I would clean it out with water or saline so that you can see the damage. A turkey baster or bulb ear syringe can be good to squirt water to clean out the food. There will be two layers to suture or glue—the crop and the skin. If you decide to put her down, that would be understandable and possibly kinder. Look here for videos of crop surgery and watch several to see how it is done:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cro...HeMcBAAQ_AUoBHoECAMQBA&biw=1024&bih=643&dpr=2

I cannot advise on the medical issues but the dog needs to be removed from your property. Owners, animal control, or a bullet. Any of the three can be the proper answer. Dogs have been my worst problem and the animal control folks here have been helpful.
Preferably in that order: owners then animal control then bullet. :lol:

Sorry the picture did not load, you can see the corn she had before she was attacked. We lost two chickens and the other one has the skin ripped off. This one is the worst of the two.

Attachments

• 20201220_101817.jpg
    20201220_101817.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 13
I have no idea how to fix a crop, but do you need advice for the other injuries as well? Let us know!

I would take her to an emergency vet right away, or a regular one in the AM. That is an injury that might require putting her down. People do crop surguries at home, even though a vet would be preferred. But if there are good margins on the crop, you might be able to repair it with sutures or superglue gel. I would clean it out with water or saline so that you can see the damage. A turkey baster or bulb ear syringe can be good to squirt water to clean out the food. There will be two layers to suture or glue—the crop and the skin. If you decide to put her down, that would be understandable and possibly kinder. Look here for videos of crop surgery and watch several to see how it is done:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cro...HeMcBAAQ_AUoBHoECAMQBA&biw=1024&bih=643&dpr=2
Thank you, I will check out the videos and we will let you know how it went.

Back
Top Bottom