dog attack - I'm sick to my stomach!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by karmlacres, Apr 22, 2011.

1. karmlacres

karmlacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    I'm so freaking sick. I had just put my 5 week old chicks outside and my freaking puppies pawed the door open. My two french black copper marans are beat up. My orpingon's wing was literally tore off of her. She is up and walking around and eating but has a gaping wound on her side. Any hope for her? I'll take pics if needed but I just can't stomach it right now. I'm ticked off as I've been asking for DH to put a latch on the door. All he could say was 'the door was closed'. Whatever. That doesn't make it any better. I can't bring them in at the moment because I have a new duckling (hatched yesterday) in therapy in the brooder. The 5 chicks are already too large for the brooder, I know there isn't room for the chicks and the duckling's contraption.

How much abuse can a chick take from 5 puppies? I know which pup was likely the biggest culprit. I let him know I wasn't happy. But all 5 were in on it. None are innocent. My adult hen is out free ranging now, she seems to have not been bothered.

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'd take them in ASAP! I can't imagine the pain they must be in with the torn wing. I know what it feels like to have untreated pain. I'd rather not be alive.(I have a spinal cord injury in my neck) If it's bad enough, you might have to cull the poor thing. You need to do something. I know things like this happen, but the birds don't deserve to suffer. Good luck.

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I have seen wing-less (wings torn off) birds on here, so there IS hope! Wound must be flushed out and possibly sewn back together... antibiotic... protected... have not done this myself, but am sure someone on here has.

So sorry... Good luck...

4. ronikins

ronikins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    Yes, I think the one-winged one has hope! Here's Clara, the one-winged chicken....

I'm so sorry for what's happened. Try not to be too hard on your husband. I had a very similar thing happen to me last year. I leave for ONE weekend and he leaves my 1 y/o dog outside for 4 hours. I told him over and over to not let her out there for more than 15 minutes un-supervised! They never listen [​IMG] She killed a hen and our sweet rooster, Rusty. My husband was sick to his stomach for literally months afterwards because he felt so guilty. He still hates to talk about it.

I would make sure to wash out the wounds and apply some antibiotic. I haven't had a serious injury like any of yours but I'd think those are basic steps with any wounds. Keep an eye for infection. Is there anywhere else they could be kept safe? Like a garage? I'd immediately put a latch of some sort on the door even if it's temporary.

I hope some of my advice helps [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  5. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Quote:This will sound strange but it works.Take the hen with no wing in cleanoff wound if you can then pack with sugar yes just plain white table sugar. We had a raceing pigeon attacked by hawk whike sitting on his nest. It left him with a gaping wound and much blood flowing. Confine her and let nature go to work.This is an old method but seldom seen it fail !

6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Put the injured ones in a dog carrier. I would clean the wounds use an antibiotic cream without pain relief keep the area clean and dry it should heal on its own. I would go to the farm store and get some vitamins to put in the water and maybe an antibiotic, You might call a vet and see if they can point you in the right direction for antibiotics. Good luck and I hope your chicks make it.

7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes, does sound strange... but have heard this before and it is sworn to by by some... definately worth a try!

8. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    mmaddie's mom :

Quote:Yes, does sound strange... but have heard this before and it is sworn to by by some... definately worth a try!

This will sound strange too but we put honey on our animals all the time to protect against flies and aid in healing. We use local honey not the kind sold in stores.​

9. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Yes, RAW honey- works wonders. Not just for chickens either.

10. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

They can survive with only one wing, I have a friend with a hen who has one wing after a dog pulled the wing off through a fence. Definately you need to treat the wounds though, like another poster said don't use antibiotic cream with painkiller because some painkillers are not for use on poultry.

Another thing I've heard to do is you need to keep the bird calm to promote healing so keep them somewhere warm and DARK for at least the first day so they will rest. Definately get something into their water to perk them up and maybe try feeding some scrambled eggs. They will need extra nutrition to help heal.

Good luck!

You also might consider posting in the emergency section, you might get more experienced advice there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by