...Dog Attack - Injured Rooster - How To Treat? - Need Advice, Please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TJ, Nov 4, 2007.

1. TJ

TJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    Hello, I had two large dogs bust in my chicken pen door and they climbed inside the pen and killed and maimed some of my flock. I went out there this morning to check on the survivors and noticed one rooster sitting off by himself, I looked him over and noticed that a large chunk of feathers missing from his back and there is a chunk of flesh missing as well (approx. 1-2 inches wide and a little deep). He does get up and walk about and even clucks some and he does eat but he acts like he is in shock... As I am too today.

My question is, how do I treat this injury? Should I apply an antibiotic cream? If so, what type? Should I wash out the wound? I've never done this before, please advise...

Thank you for your time!

TJ

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Wash it well with plain soap and water if you can. Apply neosporin cream and V&E to his water. Keep him separated and watch for infection. Use straw for bedding, as shavings can stick to the wound. You can add 5 plain aspirin to a gallon of water for pain, as well.

Keep us posted!

3. TJ

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    Hello Terrie, thank you kindly for responding. At the risk of sounding like a complete and total dummy, can you tell me what V&E is, and where do I get it?

I will do this right away and I can't thank you enough for the advice - you're a Godsend![​IMG]

And I'll let you know how this goes...

Warm regards,

TJ

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Oh Jeeze, sorry that your birdies got hurt and killed.
    Make sure that he stays warm too.
    V&E are vitamins and Electrolytes. in a pinch unflavoured Gatorade can be used.
    Do you know who's dogs they were? Because they will probably be back. If they have collars, you can go to the owners and hand them the bills for the injured and dead birds. And you can call animal control and they'll make it official.
    I would also take pictures of the damage. Even if nothing comes of it. It's for you peace of mind.
    Sorry again about your birdies, TJ.

5. rhodiegal

rhodiegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    You may want to think about getting supplies for antibiotic injections. I am saying this b/c my dog was bit by another dog and it turned into a very nasty infection. The vet told me that most dog bites get infected. You can get Penicillan for very cheap at farm stores and it lasts about 3 years in the fridge. I hate to just give antibiotics until needed - but you may just want to have it on hand.

6. TJ

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    Thank you to all of you for your advice but unfortunately my rooster died yesterday morning. I have a prize polish rooster that was injured and a hen but they seem to be coming along, all in all I've lost 4 birds so far.

I've never in my 15 years of owning chickens seen anything like this before. It was absolute chaos, these dogs busted thru the pen door which is cross barred with 2x4's and secured heavily with chicken wire, 2x6's run the length on the bottom and top of the pen and the pen is entirely covered. We just built this chicken house and pen last year and we did everything by the book but I guess we failed to cover the pen and door with iron bars! (*sigh*)

Anyway, I'm thankful that I didn't lose more birds but still, it is all so hard to take... And 'SpottedCrow', you asked about the dogs and all I can say is that the dogs are now resting peacefully...

Again, thank you all for being here and for giving me much needed advice!

You all are the BEST!

Warm regards,
    TJ

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry about your roo. [​IMG]

At least Fido and Fluffy will enjoy their eternal dirt naps and you won't have to worry about them again.

Chicken wire is good for keeping chickens in, but not much else out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by