Dog Attack Injuries - Any Advice?

live4chicks

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 24, 2014
Yesterday one of my feathered girls got attacked by our dog. Not quite sure how she got over such a high fence with her wings clipped, but she did. We found her in shock with a knowled wing, torn off feathers, and a deep puncture wound on her side. We cleaned her up and covered the wounds in Neosporin. She made it through the night but still hasn't stood up. Today she has been drinking water constantly. All she wants to eat is softened oatmeal. Any ideas on cleaning the wounds and avoiding infection? Also, what food is best right now? Can she drink to much water? Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Sorry to hear about your hen. You might want to check the label on the neosporin and make sure there are no "caine" ingredients in it. Things like benzocaine and lidocaine are not good for chickens. Whenever I have an injured chicken I just generally clean the wound like I would if I were cleaning a wound on myself. Keep her warm and offer plenty of water. If you start to see any signs of infection go to your local feed store and get her some antibiotics. They should have wound care products for chickens, too. You could mix some of her regular feed in with the oatmeal and see if she will eat it if you're worried about her diet. Hope she gets better quick.

Thanks for the advice! She is doing much better. Her wounds are scabbing over nicely and she is getting her personality back. She still doesn't move much. When she does, she limps on one leg. This worries me a bit. Not sure if the leg will ever recover.

Back
Top Bottom