Dog attack, injuries, one of the birds has green marks on her skin!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tamera983, Mar 24, 2013.

1. tamera983

tamera983 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    Olympia, WA
    My 3 backyard ladies were attacked while I was out the other day....we are pretty sure it was a dog and the dog was somehow interrupted since they are all still alive.....one has no marks on her....another has a couple of bite marks that are healing up nicely....but my third lady, Mavis has severe injuries....I want my husband to put her down since she is so injured and it seems like she's miserable, he wants to wait a few days....

anyhow....we were putting neosporin on her marks tonight and discovered she has a few very bright green spots on her...is this part of the healing process that I am unaware of?! I don't think it's gane-green (sp) since there is no smell to them....any help would be great!!

My phone takes crappy pics, but here is one...right in the middle you can see the green spots...they are much brighter looking in person....think almost neon....

[​IMG]

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    gangrene is black and smells like rotting meat, I couldn't tell by the picture but where on her body is the green located? It looks like chicken poo got on her is what it looks like to me.

3. tamera983

May 4, 2012
    Olympia, WA
    It's on the top of her left thigh....at first we thought it might have been something on her so we tried to wipe it off but realized it was just under her skin.....in the picture all you see is her skin in the bare spot....any idea what it might be?

4. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
  5. dixie&trixie

dixie&trixie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    Looks like bruising under the skin. Ive had injured birds that had those marks. It looks nasty but should subside within a few days. Just think about how people bruise, it starts off purple then turns greenish as it heals.

1 person likes this.
  6. meeladychicken

meeladychicken New Egg

Mar 24, 2013
    yes. It kind of looks like a vein or blood vessel that could be bruised. Is her behavior normal or is she paying much attention to it??

1 person likes this.
  7. tamera983

May 4, 2012
    Olympia, WA
    She doesn't seem to notice it, but didn't like it when we touched it....she has bruising in other areas as well....thanks for all the advice guys, I find everyone to be really helpful on this site!

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Some of these chickens survive with some horrific injuries. I'd give her a chance. A little polysporin on the wounds. I've had a chicken with her wing skin completely green. It went away after some antibiotic and a pinch of aspirin I believe. At any rate, use antibiotics as well as polysporin (or neosporin) on the injured. Like I say, some chickens have had horrific injuries and survived. A tiny bit of aspirin wouldn't hurt the ailing one and use a dropper to make sure she's getting plenty of water (add electrolytes). I drop right on top of the beak. One or two drops at a time. Watch for her to "sippie sippie".

1 person likes this.
  9. tamera983

May 4, 2012
    Olympia, WA
    She's been doing a lot better today....though I can't get her to eat much more than a tablespoon of scratch, some cheese and yogurt....she hasn't touched the "regular" food yet....I don't think she's been drinking so I got some electrolytes and did the dropper on the top of her beak....she did pretty good with that--had about 20cc's...but now I'm kicking myself for not putting the antibiotic I bought in the same water...ugh....I guess I'll have to give that to her tomorrow, since she's done drinking water for me...she's in good spirits and wants so badly to be with the other birds, but I know they will peck her.....she was already the lowest in the pecking order anyway.

Anyone has suggestions on other food I can offer her?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  10. meeladychicken

meeladychicken New Egg

Mar 24, 2013
    Well. MY Lady did not pull through. Very sad. I think she was just slowly dying which breaks my heart. She was at least warm and comfy. Glad it was not drawn out longer. Bought anitbiotics and dressings etc and when i got back she was gone. :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by