Dog attack - internal injury?

Cilywbt

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2019
Richmond, Virginia
F157EF73-0503-4576-847A-812DBD7050A0.jpeg
Hello all. Heck of a way to find this great group. Yesterday afternoon, one of my hens decided to fly into my backyard and my dog attacked her. I was outside and able to intervene. She lost a lot of feathers and has some external wounds. Some seemed pretty intense, but after a search of this forum, they seem manageable. She is living in a dog crate in my bathroom so no risk of flies causing maggots.

Once I calmed down and basically assessed the damage, I treated her wounds with a combination of peroxide and betadine, but now know to stick with just betadine. I bought Vetericyn and have put it on her last night before bed, this morning, afternoon and evening. There is lots of bruising, but she seem like she will recover. My biggest concern is the attached picture. Could this be indicative of an internal wound? Is there anything else I should be doing? She has had a little bit of water with electrolytes and aspirin. Some she drank herself, some I used a medicine dropper. She is pretty much just sitting on her perch. I bet it hurts her to walk.

Also, i’m switching to a 2% Chlorhexadine spray tomorrow at some recommendations.

View attachment 1923994 Hello all. Heck of a way to find this great group. Yesterday afternoon, one of my hens decided to fly into my backyard and my dog attacked her. I was outside and able to intervene. She lost a lot of feathers and has some external wounds. Some seemed pretty intense, but after a search of this forum, they seem manageable. She is living in a dog crate in my bathroom so no risk of flies causing maggots.

Once I calmed down and basically assessed the damage, I treated her wounds with a combination of peroxide and betadine, but now know to stick with just betadine. I bought Vetericyn and have put it on her last night before bed, this morning, afternoon and evening. There is lots of bruising, but she seem like she will recover. My biggest concern is the attached picture. Could this be indicative of an internal wound? Is there anything else I should be doing? She has had a little bit of water with electrolytes and aspirin. Some she drank herself, some I used a medicine dropper. She is pretty much just sitting on her perch. I bet it hurts her to walk.

Also, i’m switching to a 2% Chlorhexadine spray tomorrow at some recommendations.
I think your doing an amazing job! I'm glad you saved her in time. Is she eating anything? Boiled eggs are a good emergency food. Her injury does look serious but I must say it looks clean and on the right path. Hopefully someone else will chime in and give some advice about whether or not the injury looks internal.

Thank you. She was very interested in some dried mealworms this afternoon. I haven’t pushed much food because her crop feels full. Like maybe she is devoting resources to healing, not digesting.

Thank you. She was very interested in some dried mealworms this afternoon. I haven’t pushed much food because her crop feels full. Like maybe she is devoting resources to healing, not digesting.
Her interest in mealworms is a good sign to me. I agree on the no food thing I would see how her crop is in the morning and go from there as far as feeding goes

Some other pictures.

Attachments

• B0F57F5A-83C5-4F10-8F62-F2E9A630ACB2.jpeg
    B0F57F5A-83C5-4F10-8F62-F2E9A630ACB2.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 56DEF214-E4BB-461F-B142-0EBE208748CC.jpeg
    56DEF214-E4BB-461F-B142-0EBE208748CC.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 8528EC8A-8720-486A-97C0-43059B56D4C5.jpeg
    8528EC8A-8720-486A-97C0-43059B56D4C5.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 17
Hard for me to make out ... where on her body is this dime-sized thing we are looking at? I'm so sorry this happened, I know how shocking and distressing it is when you have a panic-inducing episode like this. She looks pretty calm, so good on you for getting her settled!

GOOD!!!
Keep up the good work, and I hope she can recover.
Most useful antibiotics are officially off limits for laying hens, because the drugs will be in their egg yolks for a very long time. It will be nice if she doesn't need them.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom