Dog attack killed most of flockšŸ˜­, advise on helping the survivors

SMGiff

Chirping
Mar 16, 2021
Heartbreakingly, a loose dog attacked our flock. It jumped our fence and killed 9 of out 13 chicks, including the best rooster ever (RIP Norton). Of the remaining four, two were pretty seriously injured, but are recovering. We moved them while we down sized, reinforced and removed all traces of the attack (the dog got stuck in the coop for a couple hour we think šŸ¤¬) from the coop and chick yard. A couple weeks ago they went back in the coop but, understandably, are not laying.

They are only a year old, can we expect them to ever lay eggs again?

Injuries were to the leg on one and back on the other. We are trying to figure out if we should plan on adding some new hens if my ladies probably wonā€™t lay again. I know nothing is absolute, but has anyone had eggs after an attack this serious? Our girls will be lovely lawn ornaments and bug eaters for their life, regardless. Thanks for any information.

Update after losing flock

August 2022

The universe opened up and we were offered a number of lovely hens after losing our flock. Four of the original flock did survive and are doing well.

But some things have changed! We reinforced our coop and chicken yard (8ā€™ reinforced fence and gate, added locks on both yard and coop) and glad we did. The dog(s) returned 4 times we know of. Called police each time, but they were NOT helpful. The animal control officer was MIA and despite multiple attempts to contact, never responded and a ā€œcurrentā€ contact number and email was ā€œnot availableā€.

Owner for the dog(s) actually came over after we called police and claimed that they werenā€™t her dogs! My husband, who is an animal lover, said to her gently, ā€œI am so glad to hear that because, as much as I love animals, if I see another stray unattended dog on our property I will shoot it.ā€

Now truth is that we would not have shot the dog, but we would have caught it and brought it to the pound. Owner of the dogs does not know this and does not know my husband. By the next week they had erected a high fence around their yard and reinforced the dog enclosure.

So far there have been no more visits by these dogs, and multiple families in neighborhood have actually thanked us for helping to get these animals safely housed, as they have been a menace for a couple years now.

We do still free range our flock, but only when we are home and close by. We are always watchful and regularly check out what is happening with the dogs and their enclosure.

We did initially file a complaint with the police, and the dog in the initial attack (she has 8 huskies at last count) and impounded for 10 days before being released back to the owner.

We did not file charges, as we found out it would take years and the cost would be more than we were willing to spend given the probable outcome.

So long story, not so short, our current flock is healthy and as safe as we can make them, the dogs seem to be safely and responsibly fenced, and we are very appreciative of responsible animal owners!

My mom's flock was decimated by a mountain lion and the remaining hens eventually laid again. Just my two cents. I had a raccoon attack last spring but I caught him in time and no one was killed but the injured hen and everyone else laid again as well.

We were told this could take months. This woman has 6 huskies and a lab that are unfenced with only electric collars. I love animals, but irresponsible owners drive me crazy!šŸ˜”
Yup, when I was eight I had my first chicken flock (4 silver laced wyandote pullets and a silver laced wyandotte cockerel.) The neighbor two beagles came and killed all but one... the last one died about a week later from her injuries.

Heartbreakingly, a loose dog attacked our flock. It jumped our fence and killed 9 of out 13 chicks, including the best rooster ever (RIP Norton). Of the remaining four, two were pretty seriously injured, but are recovering. We moved them while we down sized, reinforced and removed all traces of the attack (the dog got stuck in the coop for a couple hour we think šŸ¤¬) from the coop and chick yard. A couple weeks ago they went back in the coop but, understandably, are not laying.

They are only a year old, can we expect them to ever lay eggs again?

Injuries were to the leg on one and back on the other. We are trying to figure out if we should plan on adding some new hens if my ladies probably wonā€™t lay again. I know nothing is absolute, but has anyone had eggs after an attack this serious? Our girls will be lovely lawn ornaments and bug eaters for their life, regardless. Thanks for any information.
I'm sorry to hear of your heartbreak.

Are their wounds healing up ok?

Once recovered, I would think they should come back into lay. We are approaching shorter days with reduced sunlight, so the hens may not come back into lay until after winter solstice which is in December. Personally, I wouldn't expect eggs until probably January, but hens can surprise you!

They are resilient and will adapt to the loss of their flock. They may be a bit more flighty for a good while but should settle down.

As for adding new birds...if there's room, then I don't see why not. Most of us add new birds every year or two to help keep production going through fall/winter. Older birds can take the winter off, so up and coming pullets can fill in with their winter egg laying. You may want to wait until spring and get some chicks are even POL Pullets - it all depends on how you're set-up and what you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom