Dog attack - loss of feathers in cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Downton, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Downton

Downton New Egg

Apr 4, 2016
    Two dogs came into our yard today while the girl were out grazing and grabbed one. The dogs pulled out what seemed like a massive amount of feathers - we were certain our girl was dead. Once we examined her, we realized she had no puncture wounds and there was no blood - thank goodness. Maybe the only blessing of a retriever attack - a soft bite - but she did lose her big tail feathers and feathers above the vent area - maybe a 2 inch in diameter area of feather loss. Will she be okay in the coop during the cold with that patch of feathers missing? It supposed to get to a low of 26 tonight. She's eating, drinking , and acting normal as ever but I worry that she may not be able to retain her heat with that missing patch of feathers. Do I bring her inside where it's warm at night, separate her from the rest of the flock (only 3 other girls) until the feathers return or just let her be with her sisters and hope that they will allow her to snuggle at night and not peck her bald spot. Any advice would be appreciated since I'm a newbie chicken keeper!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She will be fine. Those aren't really cold temperatures yet. She should regrow her feathers before too long. If you notice any pecking usually spraying the area with bluekote will keep curious pecking down. I like to release a freshly sprayed bird while the bluekote is still drying so anyone curious enough to peck will end up with a bad taste in their mouth.

3. Downton

Downton New Egg

Apr 4, 2016
    Thank you! She's doing great and it appears the other chickens have left her alone - no pecking yet. But I am ordering some Blu-Kote just in case. Check on her a little while ago and she was all snuggled up and asleep in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by