Dog attack... lost 8 birds.

chickens_in_utah

Hatching
12 Years
Nov 1, 2007
I was sleeping on the couch after a long day in the yard repairing the fence. I left the big gate open by accident. I was awoken by the sound of screaming chickens... I bolted to the back door and saw a German Sheppard chowing down on my Rhode Island Red. I grabbed the shovel by the door and sprinted towards the dog. I nearly smacked it in the head (he's lucky I didn't have my glock or there would have been a civil war). I chased the jerk out of my back yard and half way down the street with only my socks on. I ran back and jumped in the car and patrolled the neighborhood while calling the police. I saw a family in their yard down the road in the direction the dog ran. I stopped and asked if they knew anybody that has a German Sheppard. They said, they had one. I then asked if it was just running loose, they said yes. I told them that it just killed all of my chickens. The man asked how many? I said 4 adults and 6 babies. I told them, well... I called the police, they are probably going to want to talk to you then I left.

I cam running back to inspect the damages... there were 5 or 6 piles of feathers all over the yard. I went over to attend to the Rhode Island... her entrails were hanging out and she was panting and cooing. I per her out of her misery via garden tool. Then I attended to my 6 year old Black Sex Link, she was still alive, but panting heavily. Her wounds seemed to not be as bad. I put her in a box with towels and took her into the basement to relax and cool off. I went back out to find the worst had happened to my 3-4 week chicks. All of them. Dead. The dog didn't even eat them. He just bit down, crushed them and left them where they sat to die. Entrails hanging out all over the place and spread all over the coop. The dog ripped the roof off the hen house and tore the chicken wire to smithereens. My other two adults, Golden Sex Links were no where to be found. I tore the back yard apart trying to find the bodies and I found one of my girls hiding underneath the rototiller. The other girl was hiding under the bag for the lawn mower. Thank God they got away.

It was a massacre. I'll be cleaning blood and guts up for the next several weeks and digging graves for the rest of the day.

I went back down to the cool basement to check on the black chicken. The dog had sliced her skin open, about 5 inches in diameter and broke bone in her back. Blood plasma was leaking out. I gently cleaned the wound and applied antibiotics. As I write this she's sleeping, but I don't think she'll make it. If the wound gets infected, I'll have to put her down. She survived 1 dog attack and a owl attack already... Perhaps she'll make it through this... she refuses to die! It breaks my heart to see her like this. She was always so sweet. Let's me pick her up, eats out of my hand. She's a little fat and arthritic so when I bring treats out she tries to run but only ends up waddling in at a drastically reduced pace... It's a hilarious sight to see. I hope she pulls through, she will be missed.

Now the officer is back. He said that he got all their information and wondered what I wanted to do. I said, I want them cited for dog loose. He had me fill out a statement, then he took pictures of my girl's lifeless bodies. When he came back from his car he said they are going to be cited for a dog attack on a domestic animal and canine at large. He then said, try to figure the cost of the damages and get back to the prosecutors office tomorrow.

VICTORY!

I understand accidents happen. Dogs get loose. You forget to close the gate. But... with pets, especially a potentially dangerous pet, you have to be prepared to accept the consequences of accidents.

I figure the adults are worth $20 each, the pullets $7.50 each and the damage to the coupe another $15 for a sheet of plywood, 2x4 and screws. I tell the prosecutors office they owe me $100 or $120 if Black dies.

FRUSTRATED!!!!
somad.gif
rant.gif

Last edited:
Oh I am so sorry! I've been on both sides of this fence, unfortunately. My neighbor/landlady/sister (yes all of those rolled into one) had chickens before me and one day a young pullet of hers walked through a gap in her fence and my bulldog killed her. My dog was loose, and her dogs were loose, so there's no real proof my dog did it, but she was the one with the chick in her mouth when my sister arrived on the scene. Also, my dog was still loose (evidently myself and my husband are really slow learners) and she attacked a neighbor's dog. That was the final straw and so she is now on a chain. I don't like to chain dogs, and really the only reason she stayed loose so long was because my sister's dogs (3 at the time and now 4) were, and still are, loose all the time. Then, one night I heard a commotion at my coop and went out to discover her cattle dog killing two of my prized OEGB chickens. The rooster died first, defending his girls, and my favorite hen was killed too before I could intervene. She chained that dog up and eventually gave him away. BUT, I can't feed my chickens scraps anymore because her dachshund (sp?) mix dog will find a way to get into the coop and release the chickens to eat the scraps. He doesn't harm the birds at ALL, will eat with them, matter of fact, but it's still frustrating at times. Ah well...at least the GSD's owners are taking responsibility...

Bravo for your quick thinking - jumping in the car and finding out where that darn mutt lives. Oh my, I bet they never thought poochie would do anything like that.

My heart aches for you- what a horrible thing to have to witness. If they pay up it will never be enough for what you and your flock when thru. They aren't "just chickens." If they pull that on you tell them "It's just a german shepherd - BANG!!"

those dang dogs...
i had a rabbit out so he could get some fresh air once and the next moment i turned around and saw this huge black dog coming after it. i was little (about 7 years old) so the dog was my size. i didnt think, so i tackled the dog and choked it until the owner came and said sorry for what happened. i needed stitches...no one at school believed my story, even though i showed them my giant bruises and cuts.

SOOOO sorry
sad.png
you did what you should've done. dang it, i wouldve got out my knife!! and NEVER take, "They're just chickens." just say back "Well, its just $100." and then smirk
lol.png

URAchickenlover 2 I would have believed you.

I wish I had done something like that when I was 11. I was walking my brand new puppy(on a leash) and this little black mutt sh-- came shooting out after us and circling & nipping my pup. My puppy was screaming - I was crying . Neither of us really got hurt, just the crapola scared out of us. Later my father hollered at me and said I should have -"kicked the mutt like a soccer ball." Easier said than done with two dogs going in circles around my legs and the leash wrapped around me. I would have wimped out regardless.

Sorry about your chickens. I have had it happen too, bad dog went under the fence and killed them all except two. Raised them from chicks and almost ready to lay they were. If I see that dog again, it will get it's come-uppins! I was on vacation when he attacked. The money, if you get it, will help get more chickens, but I would bet that dog will be back. Be ready.

Glad to read the owners will be cited. I am hoping the citations and fines will help them keep the dog under control. The husky that came into my yard caused a $400 vet bill for the owners by their dog attacking mine,and their husky has NEVER gotten loose again since the incident 2 years ago.My gate was also open because the winter water swelled the driveway up to high for me to close the gate. Well after the dog attack I attacked that driveway with a shovel to remove it.Now I always close the gate.

Hope your black one makes it!

That is a terrible story with a horrible ending. Living far out in the middle of forest I do not have many neighbors but when I first got chicks I made them aware and told them if their dog gets to my back yard and attempts to attack the chicks I will do damage to the dog. My neighbors are always considerate about this and when they want their dog to run loose they are always with it or nearby to avoid problems. My main issue with this whole thing is the damages. I have raised these chicks from one day old and they are loved pets. One thousand dollars each does not repair the damage for me and my wife.

hugs.gif
I am so sorry for your loss. How devestating.
hugs.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from Ga. So sorry it is under these circumstances.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom