Dog Attack - Need First Aid Advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AllCoop'dUp, Aug 23, 2010.

1. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Last Wed. 8/18 late afternoon, heard a commotion in the yard. I looked out to see a young rooster doing his clumsy best to mate with an older hen. The noise drew the attention of small dog, which until now had never shown any aggression towards the chickens. Dog apparently felt he needed to get in on the action and attacked the hen. Her injuries are to her back and around tail feathers and upper portion of wing where it joins to the body. I washed her up with Betadine immediately and applied Neosporin and tried to wrap with gauze and vet wrap, but it wouldn't stay on. Got to the farm store early Thursday and purchased Vetericyn. I was told to only use one form of treatment and to not mix it with anything else. I have been spraying Vetericyn on the wounds 4 times a day. Gave her antibiotics and vitamins in water as well; yogurt and some acidophilus. Mixed up a variety of food, starter, layer, scratch, grit and she is eating well. She loves the fresh watermelon and vegetables. She even laid an egg on Friday! 2 days after the attack, this totally shocked me.

My problem is that although the back injuries appear to be healing OK, the wing injury has a putrid stench. The bone was exposed and tendons torn and ripped. I'm pretty sure her wing is useless as she can't move it at all. What are my next steps? The injury is in on the inside of her wing next to her body and it's very difficult to reach. It's not drying out like the back and tail area. She is in isolation with heat lamp. I had to leave town right after this happened for work and my pet sitter did an excellent job of caring for her, but now that I'm back I feel like I need to do more. Do I change the course of treatment? I'm concerned that washing her down again would make the area wetter and worse. Should I be cleaning the wound daily with Betadine, drying as best I can then spraying her down with the Vetericyn.
    Thanks for your advice and input.

I hate that the worst predators I have are my own 3 dogs.[​IMG]

2. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Flock Master

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I am sorry this happened to you, it can be very frustrating when your own animals go after your birds. i dont know much about this but i think you are doing everything right and i agree that its probably not drying right so it may be infected or something, especially if it smells so maybe if you dry it better and/or do what you said at the end (clean w/betadine, dry, spray with vitacyn) maybe that would work better but i dont know much about this so hopefully someone with more experiance will chime in soon. again, i am sorry this happened to you [​IMG] [​IMG] but good luck with her! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Try a search on chicken injuries on here . . . there was one several months ago that someone did that was GREAT!!! Told every single step . . .maybe someone else will see this and know who I am talking about!!! Poor hen . . .doesn't sound good, that smell is rotting flesh, but maybe amputation if you know what you are doing and can do it humanely. I know some on here have done it!!!

4. AllCoop'dUp

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Amputation would need to be done by a vet. it's near the joint where the wing attaches to the body. Sadly...no $$ for that. If she doesn't get better, will have to cull as last resort.[​IMG]

5. AllCoop'dUp

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Had the opportunity to inspect wound more closely this evening. Poured peroxide over and out came small worms, I gather those are the maggots eating the rotted flesh. Smells absolutely awful [​IMG]:sick:sick I've also discovered what appears to be a small hole in the corner of the joint adjoining the breast cavity and am fearful that also contains maggots. I poured peroxide in it and was all bubbly. I washed her all up again with betadine and packed the hole and surrounding tissue with a antibotic cream. I noticed that she has not eaten and I don't think she's drank any water today. But she did eat a small portion of watermelon. Does gangren start out looking yellow?

Question: My sister has some sort of wound medicine for horses she says I can inject into the hole and it suppose to heal from the inside out. Worth a try?
    Question: Has anyone had luck using Arnica on Chickens?
    Question: Has anyone used the "New Skin" liquid spray on with any luck?
    Question: Since there was bone exposed will she be able to grow any new flesh around it if I can get this infection under control?
    Question: I bought some triple antibotic that contains a "caine" product which I read on here that your not suppose to use any "caine" products on chickens, is that true? or should I give it a try?

I don't think I have the stomach or heart for injured chickens.[​IMG]

6. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    So sorry to hear about the attack on your chicken. Wish I had experience with your problem to help out with a solution. I have not tried liquid skin on my animals before but what I use on my chickens is Scarlex, I swear by it, I have used it on all the animals with great success. It is a scarlet oil spray wound drssing which serves as an antiseptic, a germicidal and a fungicidal. P-Chloro-M-Xylenol, is both a germicide and fungicide, more powerful than phenol, yet is non irritating to the skin tissues. It is not intended for use with large area or deep wounds. Hope everything turns out okay for your chicken.

7. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    I'm a big believer in kill or cure remedies in this sort of situation.

While I'd be tending towards culling because of the smell and the maggots and the possibility of rotten tissue internally, if you have an alternative (medicine) what is the worst possible outcome?
    Death - which pretty much is the same outcome as culling.

If you feel the treatments are simply prolonging the inevitable then switch back to culling.

It's a hard choice, and one that only you can make. I'm hoping you and your chicken get lucky.

8. AllCoop'dUp

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Well...The wing wound wasn't smelling as putrid today as yesterday. I did another round of cleaning with betadine and peroxide. Pulled all the maggots off with tweezers..[​IMG] and slathered on some Cut Heal and Swat? (fly repellent). We're taking it day to day. I moved her from the inside isolation to an outside isolation pen where she can see her friends and scratch in the dirt. Hope that lifts her spirits. We'll see.

9. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Daily cleansing is the best idea. That way you can see if anything like maggots or a bad smell develop, and can tend to it quickly. If you are concerned about the area staying wet, I would suggest a blow dryer set on low. enjoy that. Birds often enjoy it.
    Good luck with your hen. I hope she does alright.

10. David Griffith

David Griffith New Egg

Sep 2, 2010
    On Aug. 24, 2010; I too had a dog attack, 3 large dogs. Of 8 new laying hens: 4 dead, 2 missing, and with 3 holes and in the skin and one with one hole. Holes about the size of a half dollar. Thats how this sight was found. Called a local chicken keeper. Recommended cleaning with soap and water, drying, and applying iodine. Iodine helps sterilizes and dries. This prevents the pickup of dust and other debris. This seems to be working and the hens are doing well. Animal control has (had) 5 new residents. David

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by