Dog attack! Need help ASAP! *((GRAPHIC PIC WARNING))*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThePigeonKid, Jun 29, 2010.

1. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    A dog got loose while our chickens were out and ripped Clucky's tail off and bit her back! What should we do for her? She seems to be alert.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I would keep her somewhere separate and put some bluekote on the wound. Hopefully someone else on here can give some more information to help than I can provide.

3. ThePigeonKid

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Thanks! Should I put a warm wash cloth on the wound until we get the bluekote?

4. ThePigeonKid

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Here is a pic of her:

[​IMG]

5. ThePigeonKid

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    She is doing well! [​IMG]

6. ThePigeonKid

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Dad got the blue kote and we put it on her. It looks good so far. [​IMG]

7. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Good grief! [​IMG] Glad she is doing well!

Be sure to keep her separated so they other hens don't peck at the wound. Blu Kote helps but that's a big wound that may need more care. Maybe you can add some vitamins in her water to help her heal as well as offer food. If the Blu Kote isn't enough to help it heal you may need to flush the wound with warm (not hot) sterile saline and slather Neosporin (without pain medication in it--read the label carefully) on it a few times a day. If infection starts with the treatment then oral or injectable antibiotics may be necessary. After she feel better and starts to heal let her see her flock mates and them her. Perhaps she can "visit" in an area next to their run.

Keep us posted!

8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I hope your hen is improving. Remember to look for maggots and eggs in this weather (gross but unfortunately true).

I am having problems with a hen of mine who was probably attacked by a fox and has a virtually healed back wound. She has become very frightened and, from being a very independent girl, has changed to a hen who is coming into the house or sleeping on the dog's bed with the dog at night.

She may need a lot of reassurance in the next few weeks,

sandie

9. copchick1

copchick1 New Egg

Jun 30, 2010
    I had a similar thing happen to my rooster about a year ago. My brother brought his dog over and it killed two hens and bit Bob's tail off. When I found him he had a hole in his back, and when I picked him up it sounded like it punctured a lung. I really thought he had no chance to survive, but decided to try. I put him in a cage in the garage. I put something called Wonderdust on his wound. I agree watch the wound closely, but I never cleaned the wound or put anything on but the wonderdust and bluekote. After reading some posts, I gave him Gatorade to drink--he liked the red kind. I had some left over antibiotic that I mixed in. I just tried to make him comfortable. I really thought that he would not make it, but every day I came home and he was still hanging on. He did not eat anything for quite a while, but finally ate a bit. He just sat for about a week, week and a half, but then he strarted moving around a bit. Two weeks later he was limping around with a huge hump on his back. Now he is fully healed. I think it was amazing that he survived--but God gave astounding healing powers to nature.

Best of Luck to you.

10. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I had a similar injury to one of my roosters. We used nfz puffer. You can get it at most farm supply stores. Healed him right up!

Good luck with your hen!

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by