1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog attack, now duck keeps laying down

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Homesteadin, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Homesteadin

Homesteadin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Almost a week ago someone's dog came onto our property and attacked our ducks. I thankfully was home and the dog hadn't been able to really hurt any of them before I ran outside. Once I got out there the dog was on top of one of my ducks with its two front paws holding it down, and it was no small dog. I scared it off and at first the duck limped away, then started walking normal again. She had no gashes or wounds that I could find. I have been noticing, though, that for the past few days she has been laying down a lot - take some steps, lays down, walks to a different spot, lays down... She is eating and staying with the flock as they free roam, but she is laying down most of the time.

Should I be doing something to try to help with a possible internal problem?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would. I possible I would get a vet's help. She may have internal injuries, something could have started up a systemic infection after the attack, or the trauma could have left her immune system run down.

I would add poultry vitamins to the water twice a week, get her into a tub of lukewarm water and follow that with an overnight in a relatively warm place (above 50F) to just give her a break.

Feel her legs and bill - if they are really warm, that's a sign of infection and I'd start antibiotics.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    You probably checked for broken bones. If not, it is worth a look. It could be a strain or pulled/torn ligament. Soft tissue damage needs time to heal. If she is eating and drinking, it is a good sign I think.

I went to see my uncle, who is a large animal vet, last fall. While I was there, he set a compound fracture in a pet turkey's leg. It was amazing to watch.

4. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Thank you both. I will start by bringing her into the house tomorrow and give her a real close look, a warm soak, a rest inside and some basic treatment with your suggestions. I really hope there are no broken bones/fractures... thinking of setting something like that like your uncle makes me cringe!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  5. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    And by the way, yes I did check for broken bones, but I feared hurting her in the process so I may not have checked well enough.

6. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    We've made it a goal to save up the money needed to get the front of our property fenced. We live in a rural area where people from other properties seem to not worry about keeping their dogs around home.

7. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    I didn't find any broken bones, and her bill/legs were not extra warm. I did give her a break inside, poultry vitamins, etc. and she is doing much better today. Thank you again for your suggestions.

8. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    How is your duck doing now?

9. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Thank you for asking. :) She is doing fine - currently wading through 24 inches of snow with the rest of the flock. I guess her system or ligaments must have been a little stressed for a few days but thankfully all is good now!

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's alot of snow, great news she is doing good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by