Dog attack, now duck keeps laying down

Homesteadin

Chirping
Mar 16, 2015
Almost a week ago someone's dog came onto our property and attacked our ducks. I thankfully was home and the dog hadn't been able to really hurt any of them before I ran outside. Once I got out there the dog was on top of one of my ducks with its two front paws holding it down, and it was no small dog. I scared it off and at first the duck limped away, then started walking normal again. She had no gashes or wounds that I could find. I have been noticing, though, that for the past few days she has been laying down a lot - take some steps, lays down, walks to a different spot, lays down... She is eating and staying with the flock as they free roam, but she is laying down most of the time.

Should I be doing something to try to help with a possible internal problem?

I would. I possible I would get a vet's help. She may have internal injuries, something could have started up a systemic infection after the attack, or the trauma could have left her immune system run down.

I would add poultry vitamins to the water twice a week, get her into a tub of lukewarm water and follow that with an overnight in a relatively warm place (above 50F) to just give her a break.

Feel her legs and bill - if they are really warm, that's a sign of infection and I'd start antibiotics.

Almost a week ago someone's dog came onto our property and attacked our ducks. I thankfully was home and the dog hadn't been able to really hurt any of them before I ran outside. Once I got out there the dog was on top of one of my ducks with its two front paws holding it down, and it was no small dog. I scared it off and at first the duck limped away, then started walking normal again. She had no gashes or wounds that I could find. I have been noticing, though, that for the past few days she has been laying down a lot - take some steps, lays down, walks to a different spot, lays down... She is eating and staying with the flock as they free roam, but she is laying down most of the time.

Should I be doing something to try to help with a possible internal problem?

You probably checked for broken bones. If not, it is worth a look. It could be a strain or pulled/torn ligament. Soft tissue damage needs time to heal. If she is eating and drinking, it is a good sign I think.

I went to see my uncle, who is a large animal vet, last fall. While I was there, he set a compound fracture in a pet turkey's leg. It was amazing to watch.

Thank you both. I will start by bringing her into the house tomorrow and give her a real close look, a warm soak, a rest inside and some basic treatment with your suggestions. I really hope there are no broken bones/fractures... thinking of setting something like that like your uncle makes me cringe!

Last edited:
And by the way, yes I did check for broken bones, but I feared hurting her in the process so I may not have checked well enough.

We've made it a goal to save up the money needed to get the front of our property fenced. We live in a rural area where people from other properties seem to not worry about keeping their dogs around home.

I didn't find any broken bones, and her bill/legs were not extra warm. I did give her a break inside, poultry vitamins, etc. and she is doing much better today. Thank you again for your suggestions.

Thank you for asking. :) She is doing fine - currently wading through 24 inches of snow with the rest of the flock. I guess her system or ligaments must have been a little stressed for a few days but thankfully all is good now!

Thank you for asking.
smile.png
She is doing fine - currently wading through 24 inches of snow with the rest of the flock. I guess her system or ligaments must have been a little stressed for a few days but thankfully all is good now!
That's alot of snow, great news she is doing good!

Back
Top Bottom