Dog attack...now what?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SoManyHats, Dec 5, 2013.

1. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    My dog got a hold of one of my chickens this afternoon. She is still alive but hiding under our deck. I saw her limp to the very corner, and it's only about a foot high on that side. I don't know what to do to get her out. And what to do to assess her injuries if I could get her out. Help!

2. Blue CopperHen

Blue CopperHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    Hiwasse, Arkansas
    Is there anyway to get her out of there by removing boards or anything? If not, can you reach her with the broom and gently push her out of there? Don't poke her with it, but use the broom end and try to push her toward an opening? Lets get her out of there first, then we can address injuries.

3. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    I can see about removing a board. Good idea.

4. Blue CopperHen

Jun 22, 2013
    Hiwasse, Arkansas
    Oh good. Let me know when you get her out. Pics will help

5. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    It's composite decking and I can't get the boards off. But I banged on the decking on that side and now she's out of the low space. Just got to get to her without her running back.

6. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    Okay, I got her out. Let me see if I can get pictures.

7. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    These are pictures from her thigh area. He apparently carried her around by it. She also seems to have a puncture wound on her foot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    So, just to share what I did at others' suggestions: first I did a very through examine.I treated the wounds with 50/50 mix of water & hydrogen peroxide, then with water, then damped dry with gauze. I treated the puncture wounds as well as the surface ones with Vetricyn (found at Ag supply). I used Q tip to get between where her wing and flesh were separated. We left it open for the air to get to it. I kept a close watch on her every day smelling for off smells (infection). You have to get up close & personal to do this. Day three I smelt something off, so as advised I had to get penicillin shoots into her (also at Ag supply). She go those for four days. Her
    skin under her wing did die, dry up, and hardened. I kept her in basement rehab for about a month as she healed, making sure she had vitamin water and treats to keep her eating. She had also passed a broken egg in the attack which came out first couple of days. Some others might suggest Tylan for internal infections, which I had not heard about at that time (easier than injections). She pulled out of it and is now at the top of the picking order. Good luck to you.

1 person likes this.
  9. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    Also, mine did not have any internal organs showing. I could not tell if your pics showed that.

10. Blue CopperHen

Jun 22, 2013
    Hiwasse, Arkansas
    I completely agree with the above poster. Veterycn is amazing stuff. In addition to the medications and method of doctoring, the only thing I can think to add is to keep her in crate or someplace segregated from the others and warm. The vitamins and electrolytes is a great idea. If she stops eating, scramble some eggs for her and get her eating. If she eats, poops and drinks and you can keep infection at bay, I think she has a really good chance to make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by