Dog attack on adult turkey

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by reluctantartist, Apr 9, 2012.

1. reluctantartist

reluctantartist New Egg

Apr 9, 2012
    Please help.my adult 22lbs turkey was attacked by a dog and looks badley hurt. I am not sure what to do with the flap of skin. The wound is under the wing so what should I do about feathers and keeping it clean. I read 1 325 mg tablet of aspirin per gallon water for pain. She is gasping but I am not sure if from pain or internal damage.

Here is a picture of turkey and the wounds:

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Awwwww the poor thing. [​IMG] How long ago did it happen (with her still gasping)? Is it really recent, could she be in "recovery" mode and trying to get over the shock?

By the picture it llooks as if the skin is torn but not the internal cavity (that's good). OUr turkey got attacked by our muscovy ducks about as badly (but by beign eaten on vs one attack) but the wound was almost that big, also under the wing. I would rinse it with warm salt water. Is there any way she'll wear a wrap, like an ace bandage? There's a certain type of bandage that is non-sticking I'd put over the wound and secure with an ace wrap if she'll tolerate it (the bandage is called TELFA and should be at any drug store). I would also use a double or triple antibiotic ointment (minus pain reliever in it) in a pretty good quantity directly on the wound, cover with telfa, and wrap it. Change it daily. The ointment will keep it moist, which encourages healing, and help prevent infection. Initial rinsing will be as important, especially since it involved a dog mouth. DO NOT USE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE. It makes a great initial cleaner for shallow wounds, but one this deep could lead to air bubbles in the blood stream, and after initial use any more times delays healing.

Let us know how she does. Turkeys can be tough old birds...

3. reluctantartist

reluctantartist New Egg

Apr 9, 2012
    Good news is she drank some water of her own accord when I placed with her. I have betadine that I can use to clean it out I am hesitant since there are some deep wounds. Some of the muscles is shreded and there are some deep puncture wounds. I will get some Telfa bandage for her when the wife gets home and extra triple antibiotic ointment. I called the avian vet and am waiting to hear back. Would the bandage hold the flap of skin in place? Should I remove it?

Thanks.

4. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I'd talk to the vet about the skin flat...if it still has blood vessels running to it (which it looks like it does) there's a chance it can grow back together and if you remove it she may bleed too much

5. reluctantartist

reluctantartist New Egg

Apr 9, 2012
    She did not make it. I talked to the vet and he said I needed to bring her in since it sounded like I needed to staple some wounds. She died when I got there. There was a lot more damage than captured in the picture. She was a character and will be missed. Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  6. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    I'm sorry for your loss.

7. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I'm so sorry....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by