Dog attack on chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kylara70, Jun 9, 2011.

1. kylara70

kylara70 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Ameraucana approx 1 year no clue what weight, small

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Dog chewed on bird's rear end, top of body above tail, torn skin with tail hanging, minor bleeding now

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 1 hour

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? rinsed the wound, removed all yucky stuff from wound including loose feathers. Usually, I just use blue coat on the injury and let them be, I have 2 others I have treated successfully. My question is that the tail is dragging the wound open and hanging loose down the back and I do not know what to do about it. I want to wound to heal closed but the large tail feathers are not going to let that happen. I need to know what to do about the tail.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? Will treat myself, just need to know what to do.

2. kylara70

May 13, 2010
    So, there are no vets in my area (Augusta GA) that are open tonight. I will take her to a vet for repair in the AM. What should I do tonight for her? I have her in the bathtub in the bathroom. Should I wrap her in a towel? Should I put a folded towel down for her to sit on? I am thinking to put neosporin on the wound for tonight. I feel sick to my stomach. [​IMG] I am, of course, home without any of my usual help so I have to deal with this by myself. Thanks for ANY suggestions

Note to those with dogs. NO dog is safe around chickens. Eventually, even small dogs will go after the girls. I hate this. I feel so bad for letting this happen, dog has been around the chickens for over a year with no attacks (although he does like to help round them up in the evening). I never thought he would ever actually be able to do any harm without the bigger girls showing him who's boss. He is smaller than our biggest chickens. However, he caught one of the smaller Ameracauna girls. As of a month ago, we have no roosters to run him off, maybe that is the difference.

Carol

3. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I would think putting her on a towel would be fine. Chances are if you keep the light off, she will not go anywhere. keep us posted on her.

4. kylara70

May 13, 2010
    okay, in a dark bathroom, on a towel, nice poop in the tub so that is good (or bad depending on who is cleaning the tub). But that means vent and internals working okay.

I am hesitant to put anything on the injury in the interest of keeping the wound clean and clear for the vet. I also did not put on blue stuff for the same reason. Does that sound reasonable?

If I find a vet who is willing to sew up the bird but is not familiar with chickens (as I figure is probably going to be the case) what do I need to watch out for? Should they NOT use local anesthetic? Should they not use general anesthetic? Should I just hold her while they sew her up? Other people on BYC seem to indicate that the chickens do fine without pain meds. She did not care that I was cleaning the wound out earlier even though I would have been beside myself if it was me with that injury... [​IMG]

5. kylara70

May 13, 2010
    So, she is still alive this AM and I am waiting for a vet to return my call. Anything anyone would recommend about medications to avoid or if it is better to use anesthetic when stitching up a chicken? Thanks for any help.

Carol

6. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    Vetricyn is a clear squirt on liquid that works wonderfully on all species (including humans!). It will not interfere with the vet like a cream or topical gel like neosporin. You can often buy it in feed stores or some animal supply places. Look for it in the dog/cat/horse section. I've been using it on my polish chick (5 weeks) whose crest was picked by a mean BO. It's doing great. You are right not to put something like blue kote on it if you're going to take it to the vet.

7. kylara70

May 13, 2010
    Well, here is the news, we have a chicken with a scalped butt. She is missing feathers on her back and feathers and some meat on her butt. The vet said it looked okay and just removed the piece of skin that would have died off anyways. They said there was no way to sew it up but that she should be fine. I am treating with blue kote wound powder right now (can't find the dad-gum spray can) but I will find it and spray her before returning her to the flock. She is doing MUCH better, having healthy poos and laid a shell-less egg this AM. Her vent is not damaged and everything seems to be getting back to normal. Hope this helps someone else.

Oh yeah, it was only $40 for the vet visit and skin removal.

Carol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by