Dog attack on my roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by motherhenfran, Dec 29, 2014.

1. motherhenfran

motherhenfran Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    My roo must have done something to make my pup mad bc my dad heard commotion and feathers were everywhere (probably 20-30 total). My roo was in the bushes hiding and talking. I couldn't tell if it was wheezing or if it was just his usual "I'm so ****** off right now leave me alone" angry voice. I grabbed him and noticed some spit on his right shoulder. His feathers are very thick right now so it took about 2-3inched of digging through feathers (a few more were falling off) and I could see a wound. There wasn't much blood and I couldn't really see much because it seemed rather small. It was on his back basically at the top of his right wing. I'm hoping a lung wasn't punctured (lungs are in the spot and he could have been wheezing) but I rushed him to my avian vet. While waiting to take him I isolated him so I could change clothes and he flew up to a perch roughly 3.5 feet tall so his wings are working fine. He also flapped and caused a commotion once we got to the vet lobby. He is a 10month old lavender orpington weighing roughly 9lbs. He's a big boy :) im waiting to hear back from the vet but would love any stories from anyone whoae feather babies pulled through from a similar situation. Praying its only a flesh wound and I'll get to bring him home soon

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Has your dog done this before? I definitely know the feeling...

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Avians vets know how to handle this type of injury. First thing they do is put the patient in an oxygen cage to allow the avian patient to stabilize. Once settled and calm, the doctor may do radiographs to determine the extent of damage and will prescribe pain meds along with antibiotics. If your rooster survives the first 24 hours he will most likely survive. The most important thing to do is keep him away from the dog-as they sometime think chickens are the perfect toy to play with. With training your pup will learn to control his instinct as long as you are there to keep him in line.

I hope your rooster does well.

4. motherhenfran

Jul 25, 2014
    My dogs are beyond great with all the chickens (that's why this came as such a shock). The one that attacked him literally thought we was the mother hen since I brought them home. He is constantly playing (nicely) with them and licks them on occasion. They get close and peck off the dead fur and none of the dogs seem to care. My roo is starting to grow his Spurs in so his testosterone levels (from what I've heard) are probably higher now. He did try to come after me yeatetday (not uncommon) and my dog did snarl at him a little bit he was scolded and told "no" with a swat to the nose so he should have known better. Also- one of my girls is molting and my roo is very protective of her. She's basically his little girlfriend :) my pup has been sniffing her and getting very close (usually she's so quick none can come near her) so maybe my roo was being protective and attacked the doc when he got to close and that's when it happened? My vet is very knowledgable but I had to drop off my roo since there wasn't time open for him to be seen. It's been 2 hrs and I'm starting to get nervous [​IMG]

5. motherhenfran

Jul 25, 2014
    My boy is home!! One deep laceration on his back that was put together with disovable stitches and a couple scrapes. We have some medicine to take twice a day. He's already asleep in my lap and the doctor said he should be just fine in no time :) thanks for all the support!

6. theoldchick

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

7. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Ditto.

8. motherhenfran

Jul 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

Back with his girls, oatmeal and fruit to celebrate :)

9. theoldchick

May 11, 2010
    He is handsome!

10. motherhenfran

Jul 25, 2014
    Thank you!! He is a very striking guy [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by