Dog attack on - well, it's a goose, but I don't know where else to go.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickeygirl, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Chickeygirl

Chickeygirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    I believe one of my dogs was able to grab my goose through the fence - it makes utterly no sense though, because when I called the 2 in, they sure weren't worrying anything, nor were they fixated on anything - there was NO goose in the back yard when I put them up.

Anyway, I saw Gus' head above the small wall in the back yard - and immediately went out to see what was wrong - they are NEVER in the privacy fenced area. I went over to him, and saw that the skin on his neck had been peeled from about 2 inches below his head, to where his neck disappears in to his body. He's got some bill injuries, and some skin missing under his wing. There are no lacerations - this is all missing skin. Can I save him?' We don't have poultry vets around here (go figure) or would it be more humane to just let him go (cull him, or pts). Will the skin granulate back in? I mean - half his neck looks like a bare turkey neck.I can take pictures, but they will be pretty ugly - essentially he is missing half the skin in a strip from head down.

The other issue is his bill. It is split on the side, and it appears to be injured on the underside as well.

I am pretty sure it was my dog. They have killed chickens before. We Do monitor them when we put them out (they are deaf), which is why I'm just dumbfounded.

2. Chickeygirl

Sep 25, 2011
    Oh, and - I do have him in the house, in a tub, where he's warm, and I've put the light out so he stays quiet.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Flush the wounds with 50/50 water/betadine mixture, warm water. Put neosporin on the wounds afterwards. Not sure about the beak though, havnt dealt with beak problems such as Gus'. Continue to put neosporin on the wounds til they heal. If Gus continues to eat and drink, he should recover. If not, you might have to cull him. Good luck.

4. Chickeygirl

Sep 25, 2011
    Flushed them - slathered them with neo - I do have Tylan, is that anything that would be useful for this? I don't want to traumatize him more - he's so quiet it's scary (this is a goose that will chase you down for good measure cause he loves his Inky (female goose) and doesn't like you near her). Also have a plethora of other antibiotics on hand (most are capsules, but can break them and syringe him if needed.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Tylan is used mostly for respiratory problems. Amoxicillin or penicillin G procaine injections would be best suited for wounds like you're dealing with.
    Here's a link to penicillin injections: Post #2
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=352701
    Scroll down to "Antibiotics" and then to "Using penicillin G procaine for poultry."

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  6. Chickeygirl

Sep 25, 2011
    Thank you Dawg53. There's a lot of skin gone. I did get a very good look. I hope he makes it. If he does, it will granulate back in?

7. Chickeygirl

Sep 25, 2011
    Ok. Slathered his neck in Silvadene, after I cleaned it again. loose bandage (REALLY loose), just to keep the Silvadene in place. Procaine Pen G given (by the post referred to, about 1/2 cc by his weight). I will be cleaning/slathering/injecting tomorrow. Any tips on getting him to eat? He sorta seemed interested, but I think his bill must hurt like heck. If he will not eat on his own, I have tubed puppies/kittens/foals before, but never a goose - anyone tube birds? Or should I just let him wait/get hungry?

8. Chickeygirl

Sep 25, 2011
    Going on almost 6 days - dressing changes every day. He's living in my bathroom - you should hear it when he hears his girlfriend >< He drinks on his own, and started eating crumbles on his own as of last night, but has a small problem with them, as the tip of his lower beak is missing.

The silvadene and procaine pen G seems to be quelling infection - slight greenish discolouration to some feathers that I will have to cut away from discharge. This is only almost day 6, so I'll let you know, as I'm sure this would be useful for chickens too.

I know he's feeling better - he was feisty last night. Now I just need to find a confined space to give him some well needed exercise without him getting his wound dirty. That and a swim - will be getting a small kiddie pool - my garage is now a bird hospital for swimming/exercise purposes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by