Dog attack, one of survivors in shock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aluramia, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Aluramia

Aluramia Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Hi,

Our small flock (5) was attacked this morning by a dog (we think, coyote, maybe). Two dead, one missing...

The are two remaining. One seems fine, but the other appears to be in shock.

She's not standing and just keeps wanting to close her eyes. We put her down next to the other hen and she just kinda collapsed upright with her eyes open next to the lead hen, who started pecking at her so we picked her up again.

One of the killed hens was her twin. One was more outgoing, and if that was the one killed I may have a problem since the other was very attached to her twin.

Any suggestions?

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    So sorry about the attack! I'd keep the one that may be in shock in a warm, dark quiet place, maybe a dog crate with some blankets and make sure she has food and water. Put some honey in the water to give her some energy. Good luck, and [​IMG]

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Could scream with the blasted dog attacks seemingly every hour. So sad for your birds.

Keep her warm, keep talking to her and gently telling her it's going to be okay, so that you can bring her through the shock. Shock is her worst enemy right now and can kill her. Hopefully she will be on the other side of shock within a couple/few hours. If she is comfortable with it, put her in your lap with warm covering over her (like fleece) and just keep being reassuring. Give her a bit of electrolytes (have someone get Pedialtye in a pinch - it can be spritzed on fruit she likes or if need begently dropper some along her beak line so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke). If you can have someone get Rescue Remedy (of not already on hand) a drop or two in her water (no need for precise ratio) in every day for the next few days may help with stress.

JJ

4. Aluramia

Aluramia Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Thank you for the replies. I have her in a box in the house with us (hay in bottom). I put some honey in her water, spritzed her with rescue remedy, and put in some food. I'm sure my husband will be holding her in a minute...

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Poor girl. So sorry for your losses. That's devastating. Untethered dogs...make me very angry.

I hope she recovers. Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by