dog attack please help quickly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wendyed1, Aug 5, 2013.

1. wendyed1

wendyed1 New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    my friends dog (a young gun dog, not vicious but not yet got all her training) managed to get one of my chickens today. amazingly she survived (dog picked her up and carried her away until we got her to drop her)
    I took her straight to the vet (my vet has a pet and farm side) they found one puncture wound and have put antibiotic into it and glued it. they said I should put her back in with the others, but shes wobbly, not really moving and I'm scared she wont eat or drink. so far she hasn't seemed to be picked on but it may happen (I have 5 and they haven't yet pecked each other). maybe she should be in a crate in the house with water and food but then I'd have to re-introduce her. I'm really upset and kicking myself that its happened and just want to give her the best chance without being cruel. from other posts I can see it's possible she will come through it. if you have any advice on what I should do it would be really appreciated.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    First of all, don't be to hard on yourself. Accidents happen. I myself can tell of leaving a door to a pen which housed an ungentlemanly cockerel open. The cockerel escaped into the pen nearby, which housed, among others, a proud hen of the same breed. I entered the coop to find the hen hiding in a corner, with her comb swollen and covered in wounds, while the defiant cockerel strutted about. That experience taught me to be doubly sure that all of the doors to the different pens were closed before leaving the coop.

Anyway, now back to your hen. I myself would separate her from the other hens. She may not be being picked on, but you never know, things might change. Also, being with birds is probably exhausting, and right now, she needs rest to recuperate from the attack. Make sure that she is kept warm, and that she is eating and drinking. If not, tempt her to eat with scrambled eggs, applesauce, mealworms, fruit, wet feed (chickens usually love wet feed), or anything else that she really likes. Dip her beak in water, or dribble water on the side of her beak to get her to drink. If possible, give probiotics and vitamins in her water. After she has recovered somewhat, she can go back in with the other chickens. Yes, they will have to fight a bit to work things out, but they will work things out in the end.

Good luck with your hen!

3. wendyed1

wendyed1 New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    thank you
    I have now put her inside in a crate, she's not interested in scrambled eggs or fruit but she did eat earlier so I will leave her in peace for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by