Dog Attack! Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CHIC, Sep 9, 2009.

1. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    My daughter snuck out to the coop and let the dag get to the chickens. He killed one and chewed on another. I don't know what to do for him. I am giving him sugar water but he won't eat or drink. He is panting really hard and He can't sit up or walk. What should I do?

2. chickencoop31320

chickencoop31320 Have bator, will hatch

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Georgia
    Sometimes chickens will go into shock because of a traumatic event, keep the bird in a quiet place away from other animals and provide fresh water and food.

I would bring the chicken into the house, some where quiet.
    Assess the injuries:
    is there active bleeding?
    how bad is the "chewed" part of the bird?
    where is the injury located?

Please update this thread so others my help you further. [​IMG] good luck.

3. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    He actually just chewed his feathers off.. Not really any bleeding. Small dot of blood on beak. He feels cold to the touch though and is really stiff. His breathing has slowed but he appears to be dying

4. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    I just checked on him again and I was sure he was dead. He is lying on his side, head down eyes closed. But he is not dead. I can't get him to eat or drink. Could there be something internal?

5. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Make sure he is taking fluids, more important than food for the next 12 hours or so. You might want to set up a light so he can stay warm.

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Get him warm. If he feels cold to the touch, he needs to be warmed up. Put a heat lamp ner him. He is most likely in shock and may have internal injuries. Whether he lives or not, use this as a learning experience to show your daughter the importance of not letting the dog anywhere near the chickens.

7. chickencoop31320

chickencoop31320 Have bator, will hatch

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Georgia
    that's always a possibility.
    do you have a heating pad?
    hot water bottle?
    I hate to say it but it may be too late [​IMG]

8. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    I don't have a heat lamp.. Would a regular one work? Or a blanket?

9. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

Make a nest out of a towel or blanket and hang a reflector lamp above ..use 100 or 65 watt bulb. Use a thermometer if you have one

10. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    ok thanks.... I'll do what I can... It's not looking good for the little fellow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by