Dog Attack - possible nerve damaged leg...

chickensinnh

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Hi everyone,

Fist time poster here. Yesterday a friends dog got s hold of my favorite hen (Eggna) I brought her to the emergency vet and was told her puncture wounds were not too bad (shes on Baytril) but she has possible nerve damage to one of her legs. It hasn't been 24 hours yet, she's eaten some and tries to stand up but ends up falling forward.

I really don't know what advice I'm looking for here. She's our favorite (runt, about half the size of the rest if my hens) has anyone had their hen come back from an injury like this?

Thanks for reading and any words of encouragement...

Hello!
frow.gif
Welcome to BYC. Sorry your little hen got hurt. I'm glad you got her to the vet. Chickens can be very resilient and can recover from all kinds of trauma.

Do you have her isolated or at least confined in her own space? Her leg needs time to heal, so the less she moves around the better for now. Try to keep her quiet and stress free. Observe her closely, to make sure she is eating and drinking. It's very important to give Baytril as prescribed and don't miss a dose. I would advise adding some poultry vitamins to her water. She might enjoy room temperature, scrambled eggs as a treat.

Hang in there....Hopefully other members will chime in soon with more advice.

Thanks for the reply, Naunnie

Yes - she's in her own small coop in my home. She's eaten some grapes and kale and a little bit of mango. She ate scrambled egg yesterday but didn't seem too into it this morning.

I am trying to keep her calm and quiet. I just feel so badly and guilty about the whole thing. I have read that Vitamin B12 would help her?

I am optimistic that she will recover although the leg thing is really scaring me.

Thank you again

B & Eggna

Back
Top Bottom