Dog Attack - Possible Shock - Need Advice

Trock925

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2018
I just started my backyard flock this past July so I'm still pretty new to poultry keeping. 4 days ago 2 of my neighbors dogs broke into my chicken coop and killed some of our hens. We had 7 total, 3 were found dead in our yard, 1 is missing (I'm assuming it's dead too), one died the night of the attack from injuries and another one died this morning, maybe from shock. Now we only have 1 girl left. The hens would have been 6 months old the end of this month.

This morning our silkie died and I'm not sure what happened to her. After the attack we checked over the remaining birds. The silkie and buckeye seemed to come out of the situation physically okay, but the buckeye was missing quite a few tail feathers. Both had been walking around the coop the past few days eating and drinking.

When I spent time with the birds this morning I noticed the silkie had a lot of poop stuck to her back feathers and she was moving around slowly. I was concerned by this and decided I should give her a bath to clean her up. I delayed doing this to get some other things done in the house first and an hour later I heard my daughter sobbing because her silkie was now dead too. The poor silkie was laying dead in the coop on her side. I think she developed sour crop or something because there was a pus like substance come out of her mouth and on the ground where she had been laying. Can someone tell me what I could/should have done differently? I feel terrible and feel like I've failed my birds.

Now the buckeye is all by herself in the coop. I dont know what to do for her. Since the silkie died this morning, she is now acting strange. She's standing still with one eye closed. Occasionally she closes both. She also keeps standing on just one foot. It doesn't seem she's favoring one, but keeps going back and forth between standing just on the right or just the left. I dont know if its shock or something else. Still eating and drinking and she went into the coop like usual. I put a heat lamp in the coop to help warm her since she's by herself now. Out of all the girls, the buckeye is the most standoffish and resists being touched. Instead of causing her more stress by trying to catch her and bring her inside, I left her in the coop.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated! My flock has been devastated by the attack. Should I immediately bring new birds in? We were thinking of ordering some started pullets from a hatchery. It's just so sad to see only 1 bird in the coop.
20190109_111910.jpg
20190108_155122.jpg
20190108_155214.jpg

I am so sorry! :hugs
Give her some electrolytes to counteract the shock, and set up a mirror for her until you can find her some friends. A friend could even lend you one or two until you can purchase some. So sorry for your losses!

Sorry that you lost most of your flock. I would get the mirror and perhaps a stuffed animal as Abriana suggested. But I would bring her inside for the time being to get her more used to you, and to keep her safe from a repeat attack. She may be scared to stay in the coop alone after such a scare. She really could use some friends her own age, but be very careful to find healthy birds from a known source. She will be too big to be around baby chicks for a few months after you get them, so having a friend or two would help. I would make sure that your coop and run are predator-proof and that those dogs do not come back.

Offer her some treats of cooked egg and a few mealworms with her usual chicken feed, and she may like you better. Spend some time with her around your feet. Hopefully she will be okay, but keep an eye on her legs. You silkie may have had some internal injuries that killed her, since they are very small. Sorry for your loss.

This is beyond words... Your beautiful coop looks like it has seen war. Poor babies, all of you, that is truly terrible. I am so sorry. Yes, I would be sure to address this with neighbors. Have them fix coop first so they can see the damage their "pets" did and act accordingly. Sounds like you harbor no ill will towards them and that is good but, I would not risk terrorizing another flock and probable loss now that the dogs have the taste in their mouths. I would bring remaining in, (dog crate) and carefully monitor for a day or so as needed. Secure the heck out of coop, maybe rehome hen or adopt older hens. But hey, that just me. Again, I am so sorry for you all.

This is beyond words... Your beautiful coop looks like it has seen war. Poor babies, all of you, that is truly terrible. I am so sorry. Yes, I would be sure to address this with neighbors. Have them fix coop first so they can see the damage their "pets" did and act accordingly. Sounds like you harbor no ill will towards them and that is good but, I would not risk terrorizing another flock and probable loss now that the dogs have the taste in their mouths. I would bring remaining in, (dog crate) and carefully monitor for a day or so as needed. Secure the heck out of coop, maybe rehome hen or adopt older hens. But hey, that just me. Again, I am so sorry for you all.

I just started my backyard flock this past July so I'm still pretty new to poultry keeping. 4 days ago 2 of my neighbors dogs broke into my chicken coop and killed some of our hens. We had 7 total, 3 were found dead in our yard, 1 is missing (I'm assuming it's dead too), one died the night of the attack from injuries and another one died this morning, maybe from shock. Now we only have 1 girl left. The hens would have been 6 months old the end of this month.

This morning our silkie died and I'm not sure what happened to her. After the attack we checked over the remaining birds. The silkie and buckeye seemed to come out of the situation physically okay, but the buckeye was missing quite a few tail feathers. Both had been walking around the coop the past few days eating and drinking.

When I spent time with the birds this morning I noticed the silkie had a lot of poop stuck to her back feathers and she was moving around slowly. I was concerned by this and decided I should give her a bath to clean her up. I delayed doing this to get some other things done in the house first and an hour later I heard my daughter sobbing because her silkie was now dead too. The poor silkie was laying dead in the coop on her side. I think she developed sour crop or something because there was a pus like substance come out of her mouth and on the ground where she had been laying. Can someone tell me what I could/should have done differently? I feel terrible and feel like I've failed my birds.

Now the buckeye is all by herself in the coop. I dont know what to do for her. Since the silkie died this morning, she is now acting strange. She's standing still with one eye closed. Occasionally she closes both. She also keeps standing on just one foot. It doesn't seem she's favoring one, but keeps going back and forth between standing just on the right or just the left. I dont know if its shock or something else. Still eating and drinking and she went into the coop like usual. I put a heat lamp in the coop to help warm her since she's by herself now. Out of all the girls, the buckeye is the most standoffish and resists being touched. Instead of causing her more stress by trying to catch her and bring her inside, I left her in the coop.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated! My flock has been devastated by the attack. Should I immediately bring new birds in? We were thinking of ordering some started pullets from a hatchery. It's just so sad to see only 1 bird in the coop.View attachment 1640530 View attachment 1640531 View attachment 1640532
Wow I would be on the phone to animal control pronto. The neighbors better be contrite and offer you every assistance. Those dogs better of had their rabies shots, and be licensed etc.If not I would point that out to animal control. I think you are owed monetary damages too. I would be furious and make it known. This is totally Unacceptable. I'm sorry you lost so many chickens. Take care of yourself and your baby. Get her some good friends soon.

I hope you know or can find out who owned the dogs that killed your birds. They should reimburse you for your loss. I would also report it because they can be fined for having an animal at large. I agree with @SniperGoose on that.
As far as making the coop more secure, what kind of fencing do you have around the coop? If your using chicken wire, its not going to keep out predators. I use 2 x 4 inch woven wire with a foot of it bent down on the outside and tacked down with old wire hangers. If you cut off the hook part that you use to "hang" clothes with, then snip one end of the hanger, it makes a nice spike to push into the ground. Ive not had to put up hotwire, but that may be an option for you.
It looks like the dogs used the handles on the doors to pull them open. Im sorry this happened to you.

Wow I would be on the phone to animal control pronto. The neighbors better be contrite and offer you every assistance. Those dogs better of had their rabies shots, and be licensed etc.If not I would point that out to animal control. I think you are owed monetary damages too. I would be furious and make it known. This is totally Unacceptable. I'm sorry you lost so many chickens. Take care of yourself and your baby. Get her some good friends soon.
ETA: and get the strongest electric fence you can afford. Better yet have the neighbors pay for it.

I’m so sorry. I agree with others that finding her a friend or two would be good. I would think she is scared and confused as to what just happened. Cleaning up the coop to get past this tragedy would be helpful. I would bring her inside if possible. Some treats and calm attention will bring her around. Please remember there is nothing you could have done. Internal injury is likely with dog attacks especially on a small silkie.
If you can I would beef up coop security. I can see hardware cloth which is great. It should be secured with screws and washers. If you have concerns about protection post pictures and we will all give suggestions.
I also would contact the neighbors. They should pay for repairs and new chickens. A notice to animal control may be in order as well.

Again— so sorry.

(What on earth do they have for dogs!?!)

Back
Top Bottom