Dog attack question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pbjmaker, Dec 28, 2010.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I thought I had all the chickens locked up for the day when I let the dogs out into the yard. Apparently one was under the coop and the 5 month old puppies got to her. She is inside now and seems to be recovering from shock (she is a tough old coot) but they basically plucked her back completely and it is raw like a skinned knee. What do you all recommend for this type of wound? It does not help that she is just getting over some kind of upper respiratory thing. I have given her some sugar water, wrapped her loosely in a blanket and set her near (not right in front of) the heater.

She is a 3 year old bantam frizzled Cochin.

The dogs know they did wrong but it is the reason I don't let them out with the chickens, my mistake for not double checking under the coop.

2. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I would probably put some triple-antibiotic ointment on it.

3. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    or Blu-kote

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I would use some blue-kote type spray product. It will camouflage the sore area from the other chickens and also protect it from infection.

5. Echos_dad

Echos_dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Elbert County, Colorado
    If you use something like neosporin, make sure it's the one without pain relief.

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:She has earned a permanent place in the basement for the winter. She would never survive Iowa winter without feathers. I am trying to find some place that is open that has blu-kote. The feed stores around here close early. I found a place that sells a wound spray that has that silver stuff in it - I can't spell the word - starts with a "c".

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    If you can clean it up at all, like drizzling saline solution over it, or if it looks reasonably clean, don't stress her out trying to mess with it. Put either Blu-Kote or neosporin on it. Keep her warm and dry. The wound doesn't sound too bad, from your description. But if she's getting over a respiratory infection, maybe keep her inside for a while and give her lots of treats, like hard boiled egg, yogurt, healthy yummy things. If you have Avia Charge 2000 or another chicken vitamin, put that in her water. If you have Polyvisol without iron, a couple drops in the side of her beak would help, being super careful so she doesn't aspirate the liquid.

Sorry about your little girl. i hope she recovers soon.

This may be helpful: http://shilala.homestead.com/woundcare.html

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  8. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    If you can clean it out with Peroxide 1st, that would be great. Just use the peroxide for the first rinse, as it can damage tissue as it heals. Then put on neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment (without pain, as indicated above). Don't need to wrap, just isolate her for a while and monitor the wound. No need for oral antibiotics, IMO.

Our girl was attacked by our dog. It happens when you have dogs, so don't feel bad. This wound looked so bad, but she made a full recovery. Good luck!

[​IMG]

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:She has earned a permanent place in the basement for the winter. She would never survive Iowa winter without feathers. I am trying to find some place that is open that has blu-kote. The feed stores around here close early. I found a place that sells a wound spray that has that silver stuff in it - I can't spell the word - starts with a "c".

From what i know of colloidal silver, that spray would probably be great right now. I have never used it myself, however. It is a natural antibiotic/antiseptic.

10. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Blu-Kote is mostly Isopropyl Alcohol, so it may sting. One trick is that if you use it and it stains your hands, wash them with IPA and they will clean up nice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by