dog attack--sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by corrae, Sep 20, 2011.

1. corrae

corrae Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2009
    On sunday my yard was invaded by 2 strays--miraculously none of my pullets were killed outright, but one seems in a bad way now. I'm looking for help/advice on what to do for her. I've only found a small puncture on her tail area, which I put triple antibiotic on. She is missing quite a few feathers from her tail/butt as well. After the attack she was very scared but alert, and hiding in a dark corner of the barn. I put brought her in that night, kept in a pet carrier, warm in the bathroom. She ate and drank well. When it warmed up yesterday AM I put her out w/her sister pullets, and she seemed fine all day--staying with her group, scratching, lying in sun. Went into roost on her own. This AM she was a huddled bunch of feathers under the nest boxes. I brought her in, put in pet carrier, got a dose of baytril injectable in her, and got her to eat a few small pieces of cooked egg, and a little warm milk and bread. She is very listless now and will not look at food or water on her own. I put one baby aspirin in a cup of water and used an eyedropper to get a little down her. Her crop is not empty, and I did massage it some--which seemed to perk her up a bit. SHe sqwawks a bit when I handle her--she's not been handled much, mostly skittish of people--so I don't know if she's hurting inside or is just naturally reacting to me picking her up. She is doing the normal muttering pullet talk to herself, softly. Any suggestions, encouragement, advice, anything else I can do? She's in a our guestroom w/blackout shades drawn, so it's like midnight in there. There is a blanket over the pet carrier.... I'd really like to pull her thru this--help!

2. toysmom

toysmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    I am sorry that your chicken got hurt. I don't know any solutions, but maybe somebody will respond soon.[​IMG]

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I would keep her in a warm, quiet place but not necessarily dark all the time. She does need to be able to get up and move around as well as eat and drink which she won't do in the dark. She may be in shock but it's amazing what these girls can recover from. Water with Pedialyte or Gatorade would probably help. She can live a few days without food, so I wouldn't force that right now, but she has to have water and it's important to get some electrolytes in her.

Good luck!

4. corrae

May 25, 2009
    Sounds good. I'll move her to the brighter bathroom until it naturally becomes dark. I hate worrying like this!!!!! Thank you for the advice!

5. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Did you check the area where her wound is? Could it be infested with maggots? I know, gross.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  6. corrae

May 25, 2009
    Nope, no maggots. Eeeewwww...just the thought makes my stomach churn.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by