Dog attack, Skinless Chicken - ***GRAPHIC PICTURES!!!***

Bantam Chase

Songster
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
SC PA
With all the nasty snow we've had, the netting to the outside run collapsed, and today my black ameracauna hen discovered the joys of free ranging... and the dangers of mingling with a border collie. I saw the pile of feathers early this afternoon and thought she was gone (the dog LOVES her poultry!), but early evening my son brought her into the house - amazingly well-off considering, However, she's missing a massive amount of skin on her wing, side and leg. She's got another wound on the back of her head, her skull is exposed, but I've seen birds come back from very similar injuries to that. My main concern... SKINLESS CHICKEN!
Top view - wing on the right, bruised back skin, and naked side

Under her wing. Nooooo skin! Some punctures on her thigh, not too horribly bad.

Back of head/neck.

I sprayed/rinsed the spots with betadine, dried them and applied BluKote (which is really purple... its a topical antibiotic and protectant), and have Tetracycline in her water. She's in a straw-filled cat carrier near the coal stove for heat. I have no asprin for pain, only dog and goat drugs... Is tetracycline the drug of choice for wounds like this? I have Tylan50, LA200 and Penicillin in the fridge.

I''ve always been amazed at how well chickens heal, but this is a bit extreme. Any help or guidance would be great!

Sounds like you have done a good job on the wounds. I like Neosporin for a few days on the wounds. Penicillin, or better Amoxicillin or keflex from the vet would be a better choice for wound infections. Keep us posted on progress. Push the high protein snacks like eggs for awhile.

I had a stray chicken that showed up with a wound similiar to that. Actually about 2-3" of the pelvic bone was present with even the muscle missing. The hardest problem I had was that I had a hard time keeping the wound clean. She felt amazingly good and kept trying to take dust, pine shaving baths. I made a chicken apron (looked like a cape) out of felt. Worked great!

After rinsing with the betadine I would also rinse her wounds with some saline because its supposed to promote new cell growth. Also Id use some neosprorin. I had a hen who had a massive hole ripped into her by something and i kept her on an old sheet instead of straw or shavings because they kept getting stuck in her wounds. just my two cents

Back
Top Bottom