Dog attack = surviving chick blowing up like a balloon- Sorted now thanks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cheepingchick, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Cheepingchick

Cheepingchick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2011
    A stray dog attacked our chicks yesterday - luckily all were OK - except for one.

She had no puncture marks just lost a lot of her feathers and was in a light shock.

I brang her inside and kept her in the warm air, feeding her some warm porridge.

This morning she was chipper but I noticed that her flesh around her lower back was swollen and upon touching I realised that it was almost as though it was blown up like a balloon. Upon checking her again 3 hours later this has now spread and her entire body is now puffy. It is not fluid that I can see but more like air..

She is eating and drinking just fine but is not her usually self in that she is not running around with the others. She is quite and slow....

What is causing this ballooning effect? Is it just natural trauma that will right itself or is it something more serious?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. Cheepingchick

Cheepingchick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2011
    Aghhh Just had a thought - is it possible that one of her lungs is punctured and is leaking.... actually no I dont think so because it started at the other end... [​IMG]

3. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    I am not sure at all but here is a bump so someone else may see this. Good luck!

4. Tricorn

Tricorn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    Are you sure there aren't any breaks in the skin? We had a chick get picked on, there was only a little open spot but (I guess) it was in just the right place for her movement to 'suck' the air under her skin. She ended up like a skin balloon. It was so bad we had to remove the air with a needle. She was fine after a few days of treatment.

Dunno if that helps, good luck with your girl!

5. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    My chihuahua was attacked by another dog last summer and the his skin 'pocket' filled up with pus within hours. It was instantly infected. Had to go the antibiotic and debridement route. Hope that's not her problem!

6. texas75563

texas75563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    My rooster has been attacked 4 times. 3 times he had chunks of meat taken out of him. He is currently getting over attack about a week ago. For him it takes about week to get back into his regular routine. In 2 weeks you would never knew he been hurt. Except for lack of feathers where he was attacked. In month to 6 weeks feathers have grown back out. (guessing on that time frame)

Hopefully your young chick is as tough as my rooster. I hope your chick gets well soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by