1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog Attack Survivor!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Daisymay, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Daisymay

Daisymay Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    I would like to that all ya'll for your first aid posts. Our hen was attacks by the nieghbors dog two weeks ago. She had all but one pitiful feather plucked out of her backside, puncture wounds on her side, and she could barely walk. We followed your advise and put her in a dog crate in the house, keeping her quite and cool. DH was very hesitant about cleaning the wounds so we didn't for about 4 days. Then we did twice a day for four days and she managed to clean off all the stuck on feathers. I also went to the pet store and bought her some super worms for extra protein. Since she missed her sisters, she got supervised visit a couple times a day.
    I tell you what! This hens has made a full recovery! Her wounds have healed, she's growing her feathers back, and only has a slight limp!

Thank you for such a great resource!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is wonderful to hear! I'm so happy for her and you.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Hooray!!!

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    How great to see a success story here!

Congrats on her recovery, and nicely done to you. May she repay you with lots of eggs.

5. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Wow. That just goes to show what a little TLC can do! [​IMG]--[​IMG]:aww--[​IMG]

6. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    AWESOME!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by