Dog attack survivors

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MustLoveRoos, Oct 11, 2016.

1. MustLoveRoos

MustLoveRoos New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    My dog attacked my chickens today. Unfortunately 3 did not survive and 3 are badly injured. I checked them out and it seems to be mostly injuries related to feather removal and a single punture on my roo. The 3 are severely stressed but alert and currently resting in a crate in my kitchen. I am waiting to see if they survive the night. My question is how do i treat their wounds? And what should i expect with healing?

2. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    You can clean wounds with chlorhexadine or a diluted betadine solution. I'd only use betadine for the initial cleaning as it can inhibit healing.
    Also veterycin wound and skin care spray is very good. You can use plain neosporin if neccessary (no pain killer). If there are open wounds make sure they stay clean, remove feathers around the wound if neccessary, and you may have to isolate that bird to prevent the wound being pecked.
    I'd also give electrolytes in their water, which will help with the shock. If the wounds are superficial they should heal up pretty well on their own barring any infection. Keep an eye on them to make sure they are eating and drinking well, and make sure there is no wound pecking.
    Here is a link with lots of info on emergency care, scroll down to wound care: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ergency-and-supportive-care-updated-9-14-2016

1 person likes this.
  3. MustLoveRoos

MustLoveRoos New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    The 2 girls are standing and moving and drinking. My roo cannot stand but is alert and interested in food. Not sure if he will bounce back.

4. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I'd give him a very good going over to make sure you have not missed any wounds.
    It's possible that he tried to defend his girls and may be more injured than they are, including the risk of internal injury.
    Give him some time, supporting care, and watch for infection. He may just be battered and bruised and needs more recoup time.
    I'd personally give a roo that sacrificed himself for the hens every possible chance to recover.
    Best of luck.

5. MustLoveRoos

MustLoveRoos New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    Im about to. I have 2 roos and he is captain. He tried defending im sure. Hes young as are his 3 sis and 1 bro who are unharmed. They are not clipped so they got up a tree. The other 5 girls were older and clipped so they could go up. My injured roo risked his life for them cuz he could have easily went up a tree too.

6. MustLoveRoos

MustLoveRoos New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    The girls are recovering nicely. My roo is eating, drinking, and pooping well. He has a sore on his back but no other wounds. He is alert but cannot stand. He can roll side to side. Giving him more time to recover.

7. chickensat15

chickensat15 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2013
    my hen was attacked eariler today have her in bath tub heading to get cleaning solution now anything else

8. MustLoveRoos

MustLoveRoos New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    Im adding electrolytes to the water. Just keeping them warm with plenty of water and food

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by