Dog Attack. Tylan 50 question

LaynaDon95

Songster
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
Texas
My leghorn hen hopped the fence into the neighbor's yard today and their german shepherd got ahold of her. :( Her tail area is pretty ripped up. Will giving her Tylan 50 help prevent infection? I know it's mostly for respiratory infections, but does it help with skin infections?

I really don't think so. I'd stock up on a broad-spectrum antibiotic like Baytril or Cephalexin for the future, and ask the vet to give you some for her in the meantime. Maybe others know differently, but I really think Tylan is specific to the bacteria that cause resp. issues.

I agree with Tofupup, tylan 50 wont be of much help. Penicillin, amoxicillin might be better choices. Topically flush with betadine and pack wounds with neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment. Veterycin may help also.

Last edited:
I agree with Tofupup, tylan 50 wont be of much help. Penicillin, amoxicillin might be better choices. Topically flush with betadine and pack wounds with neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment. Veterycin may help also.
X2.

-Kathy

I really don't think so. I'd stock up on a broad-spectrum antibiotic like Baytril or Cephalexin for the future, and ask the vet to give you some for her in the meantime. Maybe others know differently, but I really think Tylan is specific to the bacteria that cause resp. issues.
I agree about the Tylan, but would not treat this bird with Baytril. Honestly, probably wouldn't give any meds, I'd kust clean it with betadine or chlorhexidine.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Last edited:

Thank you. I'm going to continue giving her Tylan because she does have a bit of rattle-y breathing sometimes. I think it's probably physical damage, but I'm not taking any chances. There aren't any vets that treat chickens anywhere around here so I have to treat my girls on my own.

I flushed her wound with betadine first thing last night and sprayed her with blue-kote. It's so sensitive and not an easy place to doctor so I haven't put any neosporin on her.

I agree about the Tylan, but would not treat this bird with Baytril. Honestly, probably wouldn't give any meds, I'd kust clean it with betadine or chlorhexidine.
big_smile.png

-Kathy
Thanks. She's doing really well. The damage doesn't seem to be as bad as it looks. It obviously hurts her, but she laid an egg immediately after (poor thing) and has been eating and drinking. She's not lethargic at all. She's her usual energetic, flighty self.

Back
Top Bottom