Dog attack *very graphic*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlackBrookPoultry, Nov 26, 2010.

1. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    My friend's neighbor's weiner dog got under her fence and attacked one of her hens. After dragging her under the fence he left her with about a 1"X1/2" hole in her skin on the inside of her leg as well as many other small cuts. Her husband did not want her bringing it to the vet. We did the best we could to clean it. That was 3 days ago. The skin around it is dried and dead looking. She acts alert and fine, but won't walk. She also smells terrible! I think it's that hole getting infected. They were going to kill her today so I took her, but I don't know what to do about the hole. Right now I have udder balm on the sores that aren't deep and she has oxytetracyline hydrochloride in her water. Any suggestions on what else I can do? I can maybe post a pic tomorrow when I have some help holding her.

Ok, I'm editing to add pictures. I found another deep punture wound that was draining brown stinky liquid this morning. But now that I have had a chance to get a good look at her she needs to go to the vet! I am not qualified to handle this. I will have to do it Monday when they are open. Her skin is dying. She should have had an antibiotic injection earlier.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    It will be good to see a picture, but from what i'm hearing it sounds like that hole on the leg is infected and you want to get that treated. You can flush it out with saline, or it might be easier, since it's on the leg, to submerse her leg in some warm water with betadine in it (just enough to make the water look like weak tea). After that you can dab some neosporin on it, or maybe try blu-kote. Bless you for taking that poor hen in and giving her a chance.

3. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Not a chicken wound expert but on a small animal I would flush the hole with warm saline a few times to see if any gunk is in there. If the saline doesn't drain back out you can gently push it out with your fingers on the outside of her. Then I would use triple antibiotic ointment on it. I would repeat the flushing twice daily as long as you can drain the fluid back out. This helps it heal from the inside out and not just heal over and leave a festering infection. Injectable penicillin might be appropriate too.

Give her plenty of fluids to drink and offer some scrambled or hard cooked eggs. If she'll eat her normal feed that is fine too. If she'll take a vitamin supplement in the water that would help. Keep us posted!

4. impis

impis Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2010
    Take Her To A Vet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Chickie15

Chickie15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    A while ago we had a cockerel that got comletely scalped, so that's my only experience with really bad wounds. What we did was to wash the area with betadine solution and put triple antibiotic ointment on it. You have to wash the area and put on more triple antibiotic at least once a day. Hope she heals quickly! [​IMG]

6. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Update: She's still alive and actually seems very happy. I called the vet today, he did not want me to bring her in. From what I described she has a small hole in her intestine that is leaking, but she is eating, digesting and pooping just fine. I've been letting the green part (as seen in the pictures) dry out and he said that was good and to leave her outside when it's above freezing (which I've been doing). Then he had me stop in and pick up a syringe full of penicillin to inject 1/4cc once a day. This is the sweetest chicken I have ever seen. I torture her twice a day cleaning her up and she is just fine with it.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    she can live with a hole in her intestine? I hope she get's over this are you going to keep her?

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i was going to ask the same thing. Will a hole in the intestine heal up on its own?

9. impis

impis Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2010
    Well I don't think much of your vet!!

I would take her to a different vet. She needs to be SEEN - not diagnosed and treated over the phone. An injury like a perforated intestine is very serious indeed, and I think you owe it to her to get her the best care.

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    She has no chance of surviving a perforated intestine. Period.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by