Dog attack-will she recover?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KGBYB, Dec 29, 2013.

1. KGBYB

KGBYB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    [​IMG][/IMG]

To summarize, she was the survivor of an attack that left one hen dead, had a large number of feathers missing on her hind end and near the affected leg. Above the bone that runs parallel the wing on that side was one small puncture, but no bleeding and that has healed by now, but it was purple (bruised) all along the top of the bone.
    Initially she didn't move the leg at all but now can move the lower portion as much as she wants but can't seem to (or afraid to) move the leg the rest of the way forward and walk on it or use it for support. She has continually improved since the attack a month ago but we are worried she will be forever crippled.
    Can't afford a vet, not intended for meat and my wife couldn't bear to do it anyway, so...advice?

2. reneeeWA

reneeeWA Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    North East Nevada
    is this picture recent? If it is her tail is down which isn't a good sign and I see what you're saying about her not using that leg. With what you describe about the bruise around that bone, maybe her joint was dislocated. This can be painful obviously and as prey animals chickens don't express pain like other animals they are quiet, its instinctive to protect themselves. My main concern would be pain and way of life. I had to cull one of my hens I had for over two years today because she was beyond help and suffering. I wont get into it. Broke my heart but had to be done so she wouldn't suffer. If she's a cripple she will just be your gimpy chicken but if you suspect for a second she's suffering she must be put down whether you like it or not. That or take to a vet. A lot of people get mad when others say they can't afford a vet for their animals. Its not right that you keep them but when they are hurt they can't be properly cared for like this. Just being honest. Some folks live inplaces where vets are limited in what they do or don't have any at all. I'm not trying to be mean just sayin... :) Anyway spoil the crap out of her & keep the dogs away! :)

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Your hen may have broken that leg or severely sprained it. I would place her in a crate or a box where she can be around you or the chickens, but keep resting the leg. B vitamins may also help her. Leg injuries can take weeks or months to get over, and some may never be normal, but.many chickens can do just fine on one leg.

4. KGBYB

KGBYB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    No problems Rene, I'm just saying it may come down to putting her down. I may go to the local discount vet just to get an xray. I can't feel or visibly see a break. We think she possibly dislocated he tail as well. She'll lift it, but it comes up kinda cockeyed(but not always). She had a lot of tail feathers torn out so she may have some pain there.
    Thanks for the advice and we'll keep monitoring. She's regaining the weight she lost, may just be a matter of time.
    Any advice for keeping the smell down since we've got her in the house?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have what is called wry tail from her injuries. It is almost a muscle spasm, and not always noticeable. Adding a bit of fresh pine shaving every day after scooping any poo out of her cage should keep it fresh. A horse product called Sweet PDZ which looks like clumping kitty litter could also be used instead of shavings, and and you just clean it out with a kitty litter scoop. It keeps things dry and fresh smelling, plus is non-toxic.

6. KGBYB

KGBYB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    [​IMG]

Here is a video, hop that gives a better idea of what is going on

7. reneeeWA

reneeeWA Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    North East Nevada
    When my hens have issues I put them in a good size cardboard box somewhere warm dark and quiet. Simple pain shavings is all you really needdon't go overboard getting a bunch of stuff save $ for xray. Then daily get a handful of tp and pick her droppings out. Worked great for me. poor thing I can tell you guys are trying and really care for her I know its hard especially with low $. Just keep her as comfy as you can with no extra stress and do what you can with treament. If you end up having to put her down there are many humane ways. Good luck and keep us posted? :)

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her leg looks like she is having a neurological problem, maybe spinal or nerve damage. Can she stand up on hr own to eat and drink? Maybe working with her and doing some physical therapy would help.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  9. KGBYB

KGBYB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    She's very alert and is cooing and eating and finally actually drinking water (we had to hydrate her by getting her to eat tomatoes for a while. I have thought about it being nerve damage as well. What would you suggest by way of physical therapy?
    Funnily enough, she uses the bad leg to steady herself against the box she's it, but won't/can't move it forward to walk on it or steady herself with it

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by