Dog Attack - wound care advice please

potatochipcats

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2020
My bantam frizzle had a tumble with the puppy today (the menfolk around here don’t understand about doors, apparently). There’s feathers everywhere out there, but I brought her in and did my best to keep her calm while cleaning it up, and it seems like it’s not too bad. No Apparent bleeding, just a couple spots of very superficial abrasions from having her feathers ripped out (my poor thing). I can’t locate any kind of puncture wounds, I don’t think the pup but her skin, miraculously. But much of her back and part of her side is featherless and a little red. Unfortunately I hadn’t gotten around to putting together a preparedness kit for such a thing so I had to work with what I had on hand.. I wiped her down with Epsom salt water, then sprayed all the bald spots with clorhex then applied neosporin. I have her set up all safe and sound in a dog crate with pine shavings and water and food in our little bathroom for the night.. I have to get some rest or I’ll be an even bigger mess tomorrow as it is. But I’m wondering what else I should do/look for/etc tomorrow and on. How long do I need to keep her from her gal pals? Do I have to wait for feathers to come in? Or just no blood? How long until feathers come in? Is there more I should worry about in terms of internal injuries? Or stress/shock? Etc etc
Thanks!
Signed a very worried new chicken mom

You did very well. :thumbsup
I suggest you keep her inside dog crate, and observe her recovery. Then if she is all OK, let her join the flock. If the rest of the flock disregards the wounds, then all is well. If the flock starts to peck on the wounds/wounded area, then you will have to keep her isolated until more feathers grow over bare spots. Making a sweater, and have her wear it, is an option. Choose any color except RED.
WISHING YOU BEST............................and:welcome

I would pick up some blu-kote and give her a healthy dressing. It will aid in healing and stop the others from targeting her exposed skin for pecking. The feathers will grow back the next time she molts—could be several months away.
The sooner you can get her back with the flock, the better. Sounds like she got off lucky. :)

This has happened with my Chickadee (the chicken on my profile pic) she got bit by my neighbors dog, and feathers went everywhere! I cleaned her off and put antibiotic cream on her wounds and made sure she got some sun on them too. I feared for the worst but she pulled through! She hated dogs after that though. 😂 have faith in your chicken! She’s probably in shock, but she will snap out of it!

A little sugar in her water can help with the stress - if you have a little dropper or syringe, do small .25ml (cc) to the beak with the sugar water. Poultridrench is good to have on hand too - a nutritional boost that they absorb orally.

If puppy ripped the feathers out, it's possible the feathers may regrow. No promises.

I would immediately start training, specifically 'leave-it' training with puppy. Not all dogs are going to be trustworthy around chickens- but it's very important to get the message through that chickens aren't her squeaky toys - there is no better time than RIGHT NOW. Accidents unfortunately happen, but you can start right up with working towards the next time (there's always a next time) not ending with a traumatized chicken.

Thank you all so much for the advice and reassurance. She slept sound all night and seems in OK spirits this morning, maybe still a little shocked.. I looked her over again, sprayed clorhex, wiped dry and added some more neosporin. I think she got off really lucky.. It seems like mostly just exposed skin and 1 or 2 nickel sized areas that are a little more raw, but not even oozing or bleeding! I decided to put her crate out up against the run so she could have fresh air/sun/company. I'm watching pretty closely and it seems like it is making her agitated, like she is pacing and wanting to get back into her normal home. So now my question is whether I should just let her adjust a little and give her time to settle and heal but still be out there or should I bring her back up where she can be a little more quiet? I'm not concerned about her hurting herself, I just don't want her to be too stressed..

I think you've gotten the best of medical advice above. When a neighbors dog got into our yard, it tore the back off a hen. I kept her in the house for about a week but your little one may be more stressed being in the house than back in coop. I'd get her back as soon as possible as long as she isn't getting pecked.
Training a pup by putting it on a long leash and saying "leave it" when it show too much interest in a chicken really works. We have three labradoodles who were trained this way in 2 days! Best of luck! :frow:thumbsup

I think you've gotten the best of medical advice above. When a neighbors dog got into our yard, it tore the back off a hen. I kept her in the house for about a week but your little one may be more stressed being in the house than back in coop. I'd get her back as soon as possible as long as she isn't getting pecked.
Training a pup by putting it on a long leash and saying "leave it" when it show too much interest in a chicken really works. We have three labradoodles who were trained this way in 2 days! Best of luck! :frow:thumbsup

Thanks! Yeah. I have been doing some training with the pup, will have to prioritize that more. I don't ever let her go out back when the gals are out without a lead or direct supervision. She's been fine in those circumstances. I wasn't home when this all happened - any advice on husband training?? Ha!

She does seem a lot more perky out there along side the other ladies, I will probably keep them in for the morning until I have some time to go back and monitor pecking situations more closely this afternoon..

Thanks! Yeah. I have been doing some training with the pup, will have to prioritize that more. I don't ever let her go out back when the gals are out without a lead or direct supervision. She's been fine in those circumstances. I wasn't home when this all happened - any advice on husband training?? Ha!

She does seem a lot more perky out there along side the other ladies, I will probably keep them in for the morning until I have some time to go back and monitor pecking situations more closely this afternoon..
DSCN0679_BlueKote_trio.png
Blu-kote will stop her being pecked. A hen saddle might be necessary.
The longer she is away from the flock, the more stressed she will be, and the more rough they will be with putting her back in her place.

Back
Top Bottom