Dog attack.. :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tabbykat8535, Nov 9, 2015.

1. tabbykat8535

tabbykat8535 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2015
    New York
    I was woken this morning by a terrible noise that I won't soon forget.. A husky from a few streets over jumped its fence and came to my yard, yanked the nesting box door off my coop and attacked my girls, there's 6 of them. 3 got loose and hide, they don't seem to have any injuries. 1 was acting funny so I kept her inside for a few hours to keep an eye on her. I had to put 1 down ( spent $85 at the vets to have her euthanized) she had a crushed chest. I have one inside right now in a cage by herself. She has been laying around a lot. I started cleaning her feet and found 1 toe kind of floppy and a gash between her toes. I cleaned it up and treated with neosporin. I also found her crop to be very puffy and squishy. She doesn't seem bothered when i touch it though. I'm hoping she makes it through the night. If she does, what next? What should I do? I couldn't really afford the $85 fee for my first bird, money it tight right now.. It sucks. I'm in shock right now. I can't believe this dog was able to get the door off.. ( my husband went to town to reinforce the coop so it cant happen again). I'm pretty sad right now..

2. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry for your loss. Have you contacted the neighbors about their dog?

3. tabbykat8535

Jul 14, 2015
    New York
    I had called the cops hoping for animal control. A police officer showed up, told me it was a civil matter. But he went looking for the dog. Found it and then found the owner. The cop and owner came over to my house. The owner said she would pay for any and all damage. Once I figured out i had an emergency with 1 chicken I called the vets to find out it would be $85 just to be seen. I called the owner and she told me she didn't have time for this and didn't have the money.. So now I feel like I'm getting screwed too..

4. pfields

So, she wasn't telling the truth about paying. I guess that was for the cop's benefit. She'll have a really big problem if her dog gets out again and hurts a child! Hopefully that won't happen. Maybe she'll have a change of heart about paying.

5. tabbykat8535

Jul 14, 2015
    New York
    I've heard the dog is notorious for getting loose. I'm concerned it will come back and kill the rest of my pack.. I was told to contact my home owners insurance company and atart a claim. They will go after the owner of the dog.

6. pfields

Great idea!

7. NDgoatgirlNV

NDgoatgirlNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Here in Pahrump they fine dog owners $300+ dollars per chicken killed per dog....its too bad your PD won't do anything else to help. So sorry for your loss!

8. tabbykat8535

Jul 14, 2015
    New York
    Thank you. I keep getting messages from locals saying this dog is always getting loose. Now that it has tasted my girl blood, i know it will be back.. I won't be able to sleep tonight.

9. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Did the cop write up a police report? If so did he include her statement regarding paying? Heck even if he didn't there should be a statement admitting it was her dog.

I would send a "letter of demand" to her via registered mail stating she will pay the $85 for the vet bill by a specific date or you will file a case in civil court. If you can get a copy of the police report include that along with a copy of the vet bill. Chances are she will just pay the money to avoid the hassle of going to court.

Google examples of demand letters online, keep it short and to the point (i.e. your dog attacked my chickens, you acknowledged that your dog was responsible and you stated to me and Officer ____ that you would pay for the damages, etc...). Don't ramble and tell every detail, just focus on the STRONG points that make your case. If there is no police report she probably doesn't know that, so just refer to the statements she made in front of the officer.

Huskies are notorious escape artists that love to run loose, if the dog comes back have a camera ready and snap photos. Lots of good dogs (including one of my own) can't resist grabbing/killing chickens when they get the chance.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  10. angie071972

angie071972 New Egg

Oct 29, 2015
    I just had the same thing happen two weeks ago. Mine are free range they always say right in my yard a fenced area.. my neighbors husky jump the fence her fence and mine and killed one of my girls .. We are just Devastated...SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by