1. featherylove

featherylove New Egg

Dec 25, 2016
    Hi one of my hens got attacked by a dog, feathers flew but I couldnt see any open wounds on her, she was in shock and couldnt move, I put her on my bed and left her with one of the other roosters for a while. She is struggling to breath(gargling as if there is water/blood stuck in her lungs) and when I picked her up off the bed to take to their home she coughed up a lot of blood and it splattered everywhere. Her mouth is open. I love her dearly please can someone assist me in what I can do to help her! :(

2. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    I'm not very good with veterinary stuff but if she's coughing up blood I'd venture a guess she has a punctured lung. If that's what she has it could've happened if the dog bit down on her back/chest; the teeth may not have left a puncture wound but the pressure on her body might have lead to the puncture from a broken rib. I'm just guessing but that's what it sounds like to me. For the time being I'd isolate her and try to keep her warm and comfortable.

From the sound of it your chickens are pets. That being the case I'm guessing you're most interested in doing what can be done to save her. Since it's Christmas most vets will be closed I'm sure. Your local veterinary office may be closed but they should also have a message with an emergency number to one that's nearby and available 24 hrs a day. You could try that. If you don't have any luck I'd do what you can for her until tomorrow morning when a vet is available. In the meantime you could look online to find the closest vet that'll treat poultry because a lot of them don't.

I hope all goes well for you and her. One of the things that comes with owning poultry or any other pets is that things happen that's beyond our control, so you just gotta do the best you know how. I hope it ends up not being serious and she recovers.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Even though you see no wounds, she probably has suffered internal injuries to her lungs or other organs from being mauled.

Do you have any electrolytes such as Gatoraid? Or Save a chick? Give that to her in some water.

She's probably suffering from shock even if the internal injuries are minor, which we'll only know how severe if she either dies or pulls through in the next 24 hours.

Keep her warm and calm and hydrated for today. If she is behaving normally later, offer her some boiled egg and yogurt.

There's not much to be done for internal injuries unless you have an avian vet who can operate on her. Keep her comfortable and I'll be with you hoping for the best.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by