1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog Attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LeChick, Dec 25, 2016.

1. LeChick

LeChick New Egg

Mar 15, 2016
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Seems to be the season for attacks. Our Jack Russell go my favorite hen yesterday as she managed to get outside of her yard. At first we thought she was dead, then dying...she surprised us by perking up and I followed my instincts to just hold her for about an hour where she slept in my arms. I can see puncture wounds on both sides of her head, which treated with peroxide and antibiotic cream. Today she's on her feet and seems string, but I am not sure if she's eating or drinking and do not know what to do about that.
    She has one eye closed and is favoring the left side of her neck, which is not fully extended as normal. I've kept her separated from the other two hens in my flock overnight and today she wants to be back out in the yard, but I'm still keeping her separated for fear they will peck and hurt her. We have to leave town for this week, visiting family for the holidays and I'm just not sure how to handle her continued care. I"ll probably have no choice, but to have to put with the others. Will they kill her? Any advise will be appreciated. I hate that Im leaving and she's my favorite ( don't tell the others...) I'll be devastated if I lose her. :( Thank you!

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Yes,They will kill or hurt her.Find someone to baby sit he.Is there poop in her cage if not you will need to orally give her water with a syringe.

3. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

What I would do is put her in a kennel in the coop, so she can be with the flock, but be safe from getting injured. If you put her out with the flock at this point, they will kill and eat her ([​IMG]). Just make sure that you show whoever is taking care of them what to do for her. Get some vetericyn spray; that will help her heal faster, and all you have to do to put it on her is spray the wound. You can find it at any feed/supply store.

If she's perked up, then she is probably eating and drinking. Like MasterOfClucker said, if there isn't any poop, then she isn't drinking or eating. Since she sounds lke she's on the mend, i suspect that she is [​IMG]

I have heard stories of chickens who were attacked by dogs, hawks, coons, etc., and it seemed like their was no hope for them, but they pulled through. As long as they can drink, they'll live; chickens ae very resilient!

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. LeChick

LeChick New Egg

Mar 15, 2016
    Thank you! We are first time chicken owners and just so love these girls! We are seeing poop, Im very encouraged. We've fed her her regular food, softened in water and water via syringe too. She's still gat her one eye closed, but when we open it, it moved normally. We see a deeper puncture wound on the same side. We treated it too.
    I thank you for answering today. Merry Christmas!

5. LeChick

LeChick New Egg

Mar 15, 2016
    Thank you! We are first time chicken owners and just so love these girls!

We are seeing poop, Im very encouraged. We've fed her her regular food, softened in water and water via syringe too. She still has her one eye closed, but when we open it, it moves normally. We hoping it will be back to normal once she heals.

We found a deeper puncture wound on the same side. We treated it too. We are keeping her from the other girls, she wanted out, but they came straight after her! so we got her back in the coop. Our coop is VERY small, and we use it only for housing at night. they have room for themselves, but no extra room to kennel within the coop really. We have decided to take her on vacation with us and watch over her for the week...yes, I'm obsessed!

So far, so good....lucky in SC.

I thank you for answering today. Merry Christmas!

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Eggs,Molasses and Oregano are very High in protein.Taking her on a vacation might make her stressed out but im sure she will be fine.

Merry Christmas!!!

7. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  8. LeChick

LeChick New Egg

Mar 15, 2016
    Today she's stronger, but I am having giving water with added vitamins by syringe. Food is being soaked and squeezed into her mouth, but she's getting very little. I do not think she can drink or eat on her own yet. I'm not sure why. Perhaps the dog bit near her jaw, and it's infected, or sore. Her beak is slightly open at all times.

Any thoughts on how to get her back eating on her own?

Also, how much water and food should I give?

Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by