Dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Melinda Rae, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Melinda Rae

Melinda Rae New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and having chickens. But today one of my chickens jumped into my backyard when my dogs were out. I got her away from them but her back leg is partially degloved in the sense that the skin is missing and muscle is exposed. No active bleeding though and she is walking on it. I sprayed with blue kote and have her separated and she's calmed down and has been resting. What else can I do for her? She's eating and lets me hold her to examine and treat the area. Thank you so much in advance! I love this sweet girl.

2. niborina

niborina New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    Same issue today. My daughter came screaming as dog got out and I came racing out of basement. Caught and found an injured rooster but missing a hen.. I was inside 5 minutes and the weather so lovely i let roam. I read someything about diluted peroxide and sprinkling tumeric. Some said chicken electrolytes??? My has open chunk missing I thought should sow but it sounded like would create place for infection. he is panting and resting and so I will try those two things as I have them and Blu cote I guess.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    I am so sorry to hear about your poor girl's injury. Chickens are incredibly resilient animals and can recover from some pretty impressive wounds with a little support. If you can, take and post some photos so that we can better understand just what the injury looks like, as that will help with specific advice. Generally, though, at this point you will need to isolate her so that you can better monitor her, provide care and to protect her from further injury by her flockmates as any open wound is an invitation for pecking and cannibalism. Provide her a safe, appropriately warm, quiet confinement space - with food and water readily available. A stressed bird will often stop drinking and dehydration can cause a host of other issues to begin. Cleanse the wound flushing it thoroughly. You're going to need to monitor it closely for infection so that appropriate treatment can be applied if it does begin to set in. Exact advice regarding any topical applications you might be able to use, etc will depend on seeing the wound itself....until then keep it clean and keep her well supported so her body can heal itself.

4. Melinda Rae

Melinda Rae New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    [​IMG] I'm not sure if this will work or if it's really that great of a picture. Kinda hard to juggle her and get one. My mom will be here in an hour and can help me get better ones. Thank you guys so much! Any food or treats I could give her to help keep her spirits up? She's eating her normal food and drinkin water.

5. Melinda Rae

Melinda Rae New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    [​IMG] she is much better at taking selfies [​IMG]

6. Melinda Rae

Melinda Rae New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    She is otherwise acting herself. Was recommended by a. Sigh or to try cleaning it with vetermycin and keep neosporin on it to keep the sea moist. Thoughts?

7. Melinda Rae

Melinda Rae New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    I have her in a dog carrier separated from the other chickens and have towels and blankets in there instead of shavings because I figured it would stick to the wound.

8. Melinda Rae

Melinda Rae New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    Update: She seems to be doing ok. I've been applying vetercyn, neosporin and blue kote. Not sure if I should try to wrap it though?

9. Melinda Rae

Melinda Rae New Egg

Feb 18, 2017
    Hey guys got a question. How would I know if she's got an egg bound? She laid Sunday the day after her injury but has t since.

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It is not surprising she has not laid -- the egg that came the day after the attack was already *in the works* at the time of the attack because of the time it takes an egg to go from start to expulsion - but the stress of the attack has since caused her system to shut down production for a time. If she is not showing any signs of being bound (the penguin stance/walk, seeming to be trying to expel an egg, depression beyond that caused by the attack, etc) I wouldn't give it another thought - if you are seeing any signs or are just that concerned about it a quick exam using external palpation will tell you if there is an egg in her system at this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by