Dog Attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by constantine, Feb 27, 2017.

1. constantine

constantine Just Hatched

Dec 11, 2016
    I've just had a staffy burst into my chicken's run and grab Jude, the head of the flock, by the tail, foot, and wing. She's got a limp, and there's some blood, and one of her wings are painful to open. So far, she's sat herself down under a little bush and stared aimlessly, I just want to know if she'll make it back healthy, or if she'll die or become unhappy. Please help, she's one of my brightest hens, very friendly and intelligent, I don't want to see that change.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She may be going into shock. Please keep her away from the others, in a quiet, warm, darkened area. She thought she was being eaten alive, and may not even realize her assailant is no longer biting her. Give her a chance to get her bearings. Generally chickens have great recuperative powers, IF they come out of shock and don't get infections from their wounds.

3. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  4. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What kind of run do you have that the dog got in easily? If it's made of chicken wire, you can see its useless. The best is 1/2" hardware cloth securely attached to framework.

5. constantine

constantine Just Hatched

Dec 11, 2016
    My boyfriend went in to feed them, it's a little grassed area down the side of my house, sturdy fence on the other side. He opened the gate and the **** dog rushed in beside him, he hadn't known he'd been followed by the bloody thing.

I went to put her in the coop, but she hobbled out again and plopped herself down at the other end of the run. I'm taking it as a good sign that she's walking about, and I set some feed and water in front of her which she nibbled at, but I'm worried that she'll stress whatever injuries she's got. Her tail is canted to the side consciously, and there was some blood. Lots of feathers are falling out. She looked distant, but as I was setting up a roost on top of the coop for my new pullets, she seemed to respond to me calling to her. More lively than she was an hour ago.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @constantine
    How is your hen?

If she has not improved, try separating her with her own food/water. Clean and flush any wounds with saline, betadine or warm soapy water. Apply triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn to the wounds.

Keep her hydrated and add some poultry vitamins to her water. Watch to see if she is drinking, this is important. After you're satisfied she is drinking, give her her normal feed along with some hard boiled egg.

Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by