1. trishaleaird

trishaleaird In the Brooder

Dec 17, 2018
    Bexar county Texas
    I came home this morning to find four dogs with feathers everywhere......Somehow they got one of my hens outa my property.....Couldn’t find the body searched my in tire 3 acres just found bloody feathers everywhere......went to close gate for them to be locked up for the evening an found my hen had returned an was trying to roost with the flock ......I have no clue how she. One made it home or survived.She is severely beat up has a few puncture wounds to her right thigh an a huge hole ....I cleaned an disinfected the area ....Brought her in the house she is a bit shook up needless to say .....Sprayed some antibiotic spray on it she did eat an drink both to my surprise......She is being kept in the bathtub with food water an a warm towel .....Any other ideas for her???? Guess her name fits her well mrs independent.....

Attached Files:

2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chickens are amazing. I've been surprised to discover a chicken has survived an attack far more often that I've lost them.

She will heal with proper care to her wounds. They must be washed well or flushed with saline each day. An antibiotic ointment such as original Neosporin should be applied a couple times a day to keep the tissue moist to encourage new tissue growth.

Since you've discovered puncture wounds, she should be put on a round of an oral antibiotic such as penicillin. You should be able to find it at a feed store. Or ask a vet for some. Or get it here. https://pet-healthcare.revivalanimal.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=fish antibiotics

slordaz, Sequel, trishaleaird and 2 others like this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sorry you're dealing with this.

Sounds like you are doing good with her care. Next time you flush the wound you may want to trim the feathers away from it. Makes it easier to keep the wound clean and monitor it.

Look her over thoroughly for any more punctures that may be hidden under feathers too.
    Eating/drinking is good. Keeping her quiet and warm is good too - looks like she a comfy towel.

slordaz, Sequel and trishaleaird like this.
  4. FortCluck

FortCluck Crowing

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I'm so sorry :hugsyoure doing what you can for her. Chickens heal really fast. I had one that was carried 10 feet in the air by a hawk and got free. It had huge tears in it's skin, but it is laying eggs today and you can't even tell something happened to her. It took her only a week to return to the flock, they heal incredibly.

Good luck with everything, I'm sure she will do amazing in your care.

slordaz, Sequel and trishaleaird like this.
  5. trishaleaird

Dec 17, 2018
    Bexar county Texas
    I didn’t cut away the feathers cause sadly there is fresh skin attached to it an I didn’t want to cause anymore distress to her ...was hoping the skin an feathers will dry an I can safely remove the feathers an hanging skin ......

slordaz likes this.
  6. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Use the flap of attached skin and feathers as a skin graft. I've done this and the outcome is far superior to letting a wound grow entirely new tissue. Each day I wash the wound, and reattach the skin flap with antibiotic ointment as a "glue". By about the third day or so, the flap will remain in place. Even the feathers grew back in more evenly than if the wound grew all new tissue.

slordaz and trishaleaird like this.
  7. trishaleaird

Dec 17, 2018
    Bexar county Texas
    Thank you I would have never thought of that idea !!!!!

azygous and slordaz like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: