Dog attack!

Sewforyou2000

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
Our backyard is fenced and our chicken coop with an attached large run is in the backyard. We were never letting them out of the run at all. I picked up a few more chickens and I decided to see if the dogs would be ok with letting the chickens out in the yard. It has been going great. One of the three dachshunds tried to chase them a couple of times but then was fine. Our three dachshunds have been getting along fine with the chickens out since early spring. We let the chickens out in the morning and then shut the coop door at night. Tonight when I went outside to close doors to the coop and the run, I heard something under the deck and thought it was a possum or something. Then I saw one of the dogs after something and it was my silkie Ro. I started screaming and screaming and ran toward them. The dog left but Ro was on the ground. I picked her up and brought her inside to examine her. She has two pretty bad looking spots where the skin is open and she was bleeding. First, is there anything I can do for her wounds? She was pretty limp at first but then perked just her head up a bit. I brought her inside in a small cage and shut her in a room that the dogs cannot get to. I just don’t know why she wasn’t in the coop. It had been dark for a while and she is always in the coop. Second, I have always heard that if a dog ever gets a taste of chicken blood it's over. Will I ever be able to let my chickens out again? I am going to try to figure out a way to divide the back yard so the chickens can be out a bit and not be where the dogs are. I didn't take any pics of the wounds but if she is alive in the morning I will. I love my Ro so much!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry! How scary that must've been! Honestly, that's one of my nightmare scenarios. Post pics, please. The folks on BYC are great coaches! I've seen some just horrendous injuries heal.

Doxies are literally bred to hunt. Their prey drive is ridiculous. I have one, and I never let her near the chickens. She will watch them from afar and whine and pace the fence.

Oddly, she's absolutely terrified of my Call duck, though...

For open wounds, depending on how bad they are, you'll want to clean them with saline or something like Vetericyn, then put antibiotic ointment on it. Keep it clean and moist. She'll need to stay inside while she heals.

And keep her hydrated. Give her electrolytes if you can.

Rogelio died just after noon today. 🥲 I loved that silly chicken. Before pics of her with one when she got too wet in the rain and I wrapped her in a towel, rocked her and fed her strawberries. 😂 The other two pics are of her wound. The actual hole in her skin isn’t as big as it looks but it was bad. Her black skin makes it look worse.
D8973A09-50A1-4F8E-84DC-B866F0C4A483.jpeg
CF6B7589-0ECE-4886-A0B3-FD9C83654E0A.jpeg
85355F65-CEF2-49E5-BB3B-233FC135A86C.jpeg
697D0C98-A26D-4573-ADD0-80810C521FA1.jpeg

Rogelio died just after noon today. 🥲 I loved that silly chicken. Before pics of her with one when she got too wet in the rain and I wrapped her in a towel, rocked her and fed her strawberries. 😂 The other two pics are of her wound. The actual hole in her skin isn’t as big as it looks but it was bad. Her black skin makes it look worse. View attachment 3255461View attachment 3255462View attachment 3255463View attachment 3255464
Why did she die. Kinda the same thing just happened to my road island red naked Roadie and I'm scared she's going to die like yours. She has a wound like that on her back....... I hope she don't die I'm terribly sorry for your loss..... The wound is bigger then the picture looks 😢

Attachments

• IMG_20220918_214733575.jpg
    IMG_20220918_214733575.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 1
Why did she die. Kinda the same thing just happened to my road island red naked Roadie and I'm scared she's going to die like yours. She has a wound like that on her back....... I hope she don't die I'm terribly sorry for your loss..... The wound is bigger then the picture looks 😢
Trim feathers away from the wound, flush it with saline, spray bacitryn and then put Neosporin on, I use generic.

For shock give her sweetened water and put her in a dark, warm and quiet place.

Back
Top Bottom